Largest wood hole-saw ?

What is the largest, commonly-used wood hole-saw that one would find in a bix box store such as Lowe's or Home Depot ?

4 inches , or bigger ??

Thanks !!

JJ

Reply to
James

I bought a 6 " hole saw made by Lenox, purchased at Lowes.

Reply to
Mikepier

Anything larger than 6 inches you would be better off using a jig saw and a compass attachment.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Great replies, many thanks !!

James

Reply to
James

The biggest hole saw I have bought from Lowes is 4-1/2", and I don't know that I would want to go much larger. When the saw gets that large, you need a powerful drill to turn it. My Dewalt drill has no problem, but when the saw binds (common with the larger sizes) it will practically rip your arm off if you're not well braced. Whenever possible, I adjust the extra handle so it rests against a stud or other solid object to counteract the kickback when the saw binds.

I find accurate holes are useful up to the 3" to 4" range for things like electrical boxes, pipes, or dryer ducts. But when the hole gets larger I usually just draw the opening with a compass or something, then cut it freehand with a jig saw.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

re: "My Dewalt drill has no problem, but when the saw binds ... it will practically rip your arm off ...."

I had my bicep tendon reattached to my elbow earlier this year. 12 weeks later the surgeon said I could resume all normal activities.

I don't think having an 18V Dewalt drill bind up was on his list of "normal activities".

My whole arm was sore for 3 days.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

What was the cause of the bicep/tendon problem?

Reply to
hrhofmann

"James" wrote in news:5_mdncprdr2Dz3vXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.localnet:

M1 Abrams...but I guess that's not really a hole saw.

Reply to
Red Green

That's a hole puncher. Close.

Reply to
Thomas

re: "What was the cause of the bicep/tendon problem?"

I moved the end of a couch away from the wall.

I placed my left hand on the arm of the couch and with my right arm fully extended, I grasped the bottom of the couch with my right hand.

As soon as I lifted the couch I felt a fluttering in the upper part of my right arm. It felt almost like I had been shocked. When I looked at my arm I saw a gap between the inner elbow and the bottom of the bicep. The bicep looked like a tennis ball higher up on my arm.

One week later they fished the end of the tendon out of my upper arm and reattached it to the bone just below the elbow.

I'd moved that couch a hundred times and lift heavier objects of all shapes and sizes on a regular basis. When I asked the surgeon why it popped, all I got was a "things happen" kind of answer.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

you can really get an m1 at a big box? where are you located and are they on sale this weekend?

Reply to
charlie

ICEY HOT for the arm and try some paraffin on the saw blade next time.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Ouch!

I bought my Dewalt DW246 "corded" drill a few years ago when we were plumbing our house. I chose it specifically for it's low speed and high torque. My primary use was driving a 2" self-feeding auger bit for running drain and vent pipes. Every other drill I had owned (including an old heavy duty monster I inherited from my dad) would simply bog down when in a bind. So I was completely unprepared for the torque of the tiny little DW246. The first time the auger hit a knot and spun ME around into the wall was a painful learning experience. Since then I always try to brace the extra handle against a firm support like a stud or wall, and I always take it as slow as possible in case it does bind.

Just last weekend I was drilling a 4-1/2" hole for a dryer duct, standing on a ladder in my in-laws basement. Despite bracing the extra handle against the foundation wall, the hole saw still bound and slammed my hand into the joists and foundation a few times. Thankfully I was well balanced so I didn't get knocked off the ladder.

It's an awesome tool, but it does demand respect.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

You mean I could have avoided surgery if I had used Icy Hot after ripping the tendon off of the bone?

D*mn - I wish I had known!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

"charlie" wrote in news:hc9s1i$8bv$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Why go to the Borg? That's 2.5 miles from where I am. The razor wire of Ft Bragg is 2000ft down the road. The Blackhawks are a few hundred feet...up. I want one...just one.

Reply to
Red Green

Red,

See if the base has a Defense Reutilization and Marketing Office (DRMO).

They (other bases) have in the past sold to the public at auctions. All kind of goodies, generators, fire safes, tools, machines and maybe a large hole-saw.

Reply to
Oren

Oren wrote in news:v7ehe59lv6cveea8jnhvdpo712kaf9281o@

4ax.com:

If I had a whaling harpoon I could stand on the roof and rope one in. Grapling hook might do if I practice.

Reply to
Red Green

Reply to
reqluq

I don't understand why you waited 3 weeks to tell us that you don't understand why he didn't call them.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I don't understand why you waited 3 weeks to tell us that you don't understand why he didn't call them.

I don't understand why you waited 30 mins to come in here and to say that you don't understand why I waited 3 weeks to tell y'all that I don't understand why he didn't call them

Reply to
reqluq