How to cut a 4" round hole in soffit - no hole saw.

Yourself, or next of kin, please tell us how the job went.

.

Anyway, I just picked up the $15 set at HF for $12.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

WTF is up with this idiotic trend of misusing "yourself" and "myself" lately. This b.s. is even more annoying than the "where's it at" thing.

99.999% of y'all would *never* say "Myself went to get a cup of coffee" so why the hell would you say "Myself and my friends went to get a cup of coffee?" Is the whole world illiterate now?
Reply to
Smitty Two

I was going to pick on your choice of "yourself," but I guess I'll just criticize your sentence structure instead.

Reply to
Smitty Two

Turn a router into a compass...

  1. fasten a piece of ply to bottom, needs to extend more than 2" on one side

  1. drive a nail thru the ply 2" from center

  2. have at it

But since you don't want to use a router, draw a 4" circle with a regular compass and cut it out with whatever. As you suggest, a series of holes works just fine. Router is easier/faster though.

Reply to
dadiOH

On 10/1/2012 11:02 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote: ...

I've at least three and they're all interchangeable although not identical...one has points for a driving hole but it's not difficult to adapt to them...

As said, it depends but I'll risk that odds are good...anyway, if borrows the neighbor's arbor and heads to the hardware store he'll likely have no trouble.

Again of course it's always possible the neighbor has the oddball...

--

Reply to
dpb

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I like your suggestion, I've even used something similar in the past - at ground level. ;-)

Issue here is I don't think I have enough room to use the extended base on a full size router up in the limited width of the soffit.

Now that I have the 1" deep hole saw set from HF I'm hoping against hope that there is enough room above the soffit to get the hole saw started with the right angle attachment for my drill. We'll see.

I also bought new blades for my HF MF tool, so if all else fails, a bunch of plunge cuts should do the trick.

Oh yeah, I'll be lighting the project with my HF 500W work lights. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

ide quoted text -

Send us the final debriefing, and a picture if you can get one after dark with the HF light.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Well, that's a bit interesting. Of course, I may be totally wrong, and this is a chance to learn.

.

WTF is up with this idiotic trend of misusing "yourself" and "myself" lately. This b.s. is even more annoying than the "where's it at" thing.

99.999% of y'all would *never* say "Myself went to get a cup of coffee" so why the hell would you say "Myself and my friends went to get a cup of coffee?" Is the whole world illiterate now?
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hopefully, I won't do anything else stupid with?

.

I was going to pick on your choice of "yourself," but I guess I'll just criticize your sentence structure instead.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Please report back, but not yourself. You'z goys. (Brooklyn)

.

Now that I have the 1" deep hole saw set from HF I'm hoping against hope that there is enough room above the soffit to get the hole saw started with the right angle attachment for my drill. We'll see.

I also bought new blades for my HF MF tool, so if all else fails, a bunch of plunge cuts should do the trick.

Oh yeah, I'll be lighting the project with my HF 500W work lights. ;-)

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You would rent scaffolding to cut one hole? Having never rented scaffolding, my guess is it would be cheaper/easier to just call a contractor and have him/her cut the hole.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

quoted text -

The final debriefing will have to wait.

Once we pulled back the insulation we found that there is not enough room in the soffit area to use the 4? aluminum 90 that we were going to put in there.

We're going to either have to find some flat ductwork that will fit down into the soffit area or go out through the roof.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Prolly

Reply to
Joe Arpaio

After falling backwards 4 foot off the ground, I would not even try doing work at 28 feet.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I would think most metal cutting hole saws would be useless. But, my HF hole saws have done me right through wood.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Perhaps you can just cut a rectangular or any other convenient shape hole, then cover it with a piece of wood that you've cut the hole in while on the ground.

Reply to
Larry W

This should do it though you might need to touch up the edges with a wood rasp.

Reply to
Chuck

A courteous reply on Usenet? There oughta be a law.

.

Thanks for the comment Stormy. You aw-'ite.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You tell em, Sherrif!

.