Dexter doorknob removal

I have a Dexter keyed doorknob set on my backdoor that I'm trying to replace. The doorknob had one screw in the top of the inside knob neck. I've removed this, and can loosen the face plates, but I can't get the knobs off. The only threads I've found for removing the Dexter says there is a small opening for sticking in a screwdriver that loosens some knob mechanism, but mine doesn't seem to have that.

Reply to
GCat002

It's not easy to see, if it's the one I'm thinking of. It's a long, straight, slender slot just big enough to for a regular screwdriver, probably opposite the screw you removed. It'll have the piece from inside engaged, so will appear flush +/- with the knob surface.

Reply to
CJT

Thanks...I've found a little indentation in the shape of a slot, but can't seem to do anything with it. I can pull the knob out about a quarter of an inch. In both the flush and the extended positions I've tried pressing up into the dent with a screwdriver, but it looks like all I'm doing is cleaning the metal.

Reply to
GCat002

I wish I could see what you're seeing. I think the slot in question is about 1/4 to 3/8 inches wide and just big enough the other direction for a screwdriver blade. Pressing it firmly straight in while pulling on the knob should release the knob.

Or you might have a different beast entirely. :-)

Reply to
CJT

It seems like a beast! I found a similar slot on the outside knob (running horizontal rather than perpendicular). I've even tried pressing them at the same time with no luck. They are both as you describe. I'll go at it again tomorrow when there is more light or when I can borrow some muscle. I think the door is going to give before the knob does!

Reply to
GCat002

Maybe it's a different sort. It may stick, but it shouldn't take a huge effort. I don't want you to wreck your door because the setup I'm familiar with isn't what you have!

Reply to
CJT

How does it compare with page 28 of this:

CJT

I would have said yes, that's what it looks like, but I just checked my new knobs. The inside knob just has dents like both of my knobs, but the outside knob has a little button that can be depressed into a slot, which I assume is what the picture is actually showing. My dents must just be manufacturing depressions. The reference was good -- I should have checked the new knobs earlier but it never crossed my mind.

Reply to
GCat002

The deed is done. Thanks for all your help! In the end, we used brute strength, a person on each side pulling at the knobs until one popped. Then everything just came tumbling out.

Reply to
GCat002

Congratulations! Where there's a will, there's a way!

Reply to
CJT