Spinning Cabinet Pulls - how to stop

I have kitchen cabinet knobs that have a design engraved in them, and the design has a definite orientation as to which way is up and which way is down.

The screws however on nearly all the pulls inside the cabinet just spin. So after a couple times pulling on that cabinet pull, the knob has twisted so the design is upside down or whatever.

I've tried putting a screwdriver on the screw at the back while holding the pull at the front and tightening. It just ends up loosen eventually.

I've tried putting a dab of wood glue, even epoxy on the screw to stop it spinning. The glues eventually break away and the screw and knob spins again.

I figure someone here must have come up with some ingenious way of dealing with this that I have thought of !!

Thanks.

Reply to
Shawn

Have you tried using a lock washer under the head of the screw?

Doug Miller

You need to either cut the screws down a bit, or put a washer under them so there is some compression at the wood. Perhaps even a flat washer and lock washer.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

If the pull is wood, you can predrill, then insert a small finishing nail, then clip off the head, leaving about 1/8 inch protruding. this brad will prevent the pull from rotating.

If the pull is metal.....hummm.......maybe you could try spreading 2 part epoxy on the back of the pull. Once it is screwed tight and sets up, it will do more to prevent the rotational forces than just epoxy on the screw threads themselves.

steve

Reply to
Mr Fixit eh

Actually, you can do the "pin on the back" trick w/ most metal pulls as well...

Also a toothed washer inset just slightly into the surface so the pull still appears flush works well in many instances, as wel...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

try locktite

Reply to
SQLit

Put a "star" washer behind the bolt head.

Reply to
Phisherman

Put in a slightly shorter screw, or a small washer between screw head and door. If that doesn't work, put a dab of contact cement on both the pull and the door, let dry, and fasten. If that doesn't work, you are tugging too damned hard.

Reply to
Norminn

Have you tried Locktite?

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

If they are metal knobs, drill a hole (not all the way through) in the knob that will accept a small brad (nail). Clip head from brad. Insert with point out. This will act as a lock when brad is pulled into drawer face. W W

Reply to
Warren Weber

I would second epoxy no matter what the material. A good epoxy will never let you down.

Just make sure you REALLY like the pulls because the only way to replace them will be to replace the door fronts. ;)

Reply to
Mark

You might try a thin rubber washer under the face of the knob. If the washer is somewhat smaller than the face of the knob, it won't show when compressed by the screw. Certain types of rubber get kind of sticky against clean, hard surfaces when compressed quite a bit. Bill

Reply to
bill a