How difficult to install kitchen cabinets for diy'er

My wife and I want to redo our kitchen and are the process of pricing things out. I went to Lowe's today and looked at their kitchen cabinet choices. The sales person indicated that I could either install them myself or have it done for me. As I am very handy and I am now retired, I wonder how difficult it is to install the cabinets myself. In the past two years, I have put sheetrock on all of my ceilings and I have finished my floors with polyurethane. Please give me an idea if this is a difficult job and what the possible pitfalls are.

Thanks, Al Kondo

Reply to
Al Kondo

30 years ago when I did my kitchen it was a piece of cake. Today it would be easy if I could get my son to stop by. It is not hard to do, with the exception of moving some heavy awkward boxes while you are doing it. With the right set up I was able to do it by myself. However this old body is no longer up to that stuff. I would need an assistant.

If you are handy and can figure out how to get round the usual unexpected little problems it is not difficult. There are plenty of books that cover the general procedure. I am sure Lowes has one.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I was asking that same question on this newsgroup a year ago. If you have one or two strong people to help you do the job, it is definitely possible. My bro-in-law and his brother did mine.

Reply to
Melinda Meahan - remove TRASH

Drill and screws. Not much more, maybe a hole saw for plumbing. And a level, some clamps and a tape measure.

Other than that, can you lift cabinets and hold them?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran

It's easy. =20

Locate and mark the studs.

For the upper cabinets, make a crutch to support the cabinet(s) at the = correct height. Get the first cabinet up on the crutch, level and = plumb. Screw through the nailing strips into stud(s). Move crutch, put = up next cabinet, clamp to the first and fasten to stud(s) and to its = neighbor. Etc.

You may have difficulty in getting the cabinet sides flush one to = another. You can tweak that by tightening/loosening the screws holding = them to the studs. Use #8 or #10 screws long enough to give you about =

1" - 1 1/4" into the studs. When you are finished, it will seem that = there is precious little holding up the cabinets...not to worry, it is = plenty.

Base cabinets go the same way except you may (will probably) have to = shim to level.

IMO it is easier to install the uppers before the lowers.

--=20 dadiOH _____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

If you are looking for a clearly written, well illustrated 'How-to' book. I recommend the Taunton Press's "Taunton's For Pros by Pros: Renovating a Kitchen".

No affiliation with Taunton, I simply have found this to be a valuable guide to my own kitchen remodeling efforts...

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Great post, thanks!

For 13 bucks, landed, I have my own copy courtesy ebaY!

Reply to
ng_reader

easy to do, aligning up the doors gaps is the hard part!

Reply to
Punch

Reply to
nospambob

The cabinets can make a difference too. There are systems where the cabinets hang from a top rail (Ikea has them) and this makes installation of the top cabinets easy. Level and set the rail, assemble the cabinets, and hang them from the rail. Then level the cabinets and connect them, and secure them to the rail. There is some forgiveness to the installation, but walls need to be plumb and square to the ceiling.

Lowe's might sell a similar system.

chales

Reply to
Charles Bishop