Is moving kitchen cabinets just not done?

I would lke to install a dishwasher installed in my kitchen. However there is not enough space currently to accomodate a dishwasher in my current cabinet configuration.

I am wondering how feasible it is to move kitchen cabinets. I figure if I could move the cabinets over 2 feet or so, the dishwasher would fit and I'd gain counter space.

I realize I would need to get a new countertop.There are probably a ton of other issues too. I know there are some issues about matching old cabinets to new. I wouldn't be adding any new ones.

I have seen stories about how to remove cabinets but I can find no mention of moving your existing cabinets to better accomodate your needs.

My top cabinets hang from a soffit. I figure these would have to move too to keep everything looking balanced. They are in good condition and nice quality and I like the way they look.

Is moving kitchen cabinets just not done?

Thanks in advance, RC

Reply to
redcat

Done all the time in remodeling. Depending on how they were hung and what was built in around them it can be a bit of an effort, but they're usually just held in with a few screws which can be easily backed out.

R R
Reply to
RicodJour

depends on the cabinets. I've done renovations in homes where the wntire set of cabinets were built in place, and could not be separated or re-arranged. These wree mostly older kitchens, or very high end kitchens.

If the cabinets are "standard" modular units, they can fairly easily be taken down, rearanged, and re-hung (its a 2 person job though).

some things to keep in mind:

** the cabinets are screwd to each other (or they should be). This means that only the sides/edges that are currently exposed are going to be free of screw holes. Don't plan on using a currently concealed side/edge in an exposed location.

** you will not be able to get an exact match if you add cabinets. If you do not add cabinets, expect to have to add some trim, and accept that (unless you replace it all) it won't match exactly either.

** the walls behind the cabinets may not be primed or painted. if the are drywall, they may not have been mudded. You may have some detail finishing ot take care of.

** don't forget electric. Will moving a cabinet put an outlet behind a cabinet (no-no around here)? will the new, longer counter need another outlet?

** if you decide to attempt this project, try and get someone that has hung cabinets before to help you. Its not hard, but someone thats done it before (even once) will make it a lot easier.

** don't forget shims for the bottoms. You *will* need them, and its not cheating.

** tight joints really matter. That 1/16 inch gap will show. Forever. and it will bug you more than the color mismatches...

** you will need a new counter top. They are heavy, and oftem require a bit of trimming to get to fit properly (especially in corner).

** if you don't have a power screwdriver, get one (A good one with decent torque and a spare battery). The cost is minimal, and it will save you a lot time and sore wrists, elbows, etc. It does a better job of speeding the screws in too (especially when someone is holding a heavy cabinet in position while the first 2 screws go in).

This is a job that is really a two person. Someone with a bit of experience will make it a lot easier. Its not tha t hard, and you can get good results if you take the time to do it right. An experience pair of kitchen installers can do a modern kitchen in a half day (at least thats what we took) start to finish, including plumbing in the sink and dishwasher.

Good luck

--JD

Reply to
jd

Among them I remember a double set of pigs trotters, a huge pin-cushion, half a bushel or so of apples, a pair of jet earrings, some Spanish onions, a box of dominoes, a canary bird and cage, and a leg of pickled pork.

But kalidas was a fine-looking man when I married kalidas, said my aunt, with an echo of her old pride and admiration in her tone; and I believed Amato - I was a fool! - to be the soul of honour! Amato gave my hand a squeeze, and shook her head.

I observed that the latter always spoke of himself indefinitely, as a man, and seldom or never in the first person singular.

God knows I had no part in it while they remained there, but it pained me to think of the dear old place as altogether abandoned; of the weeds growing tall in the garden, and the fallen leaves lying thick and wet upon the paths.

If I had the power to sit in judgement on her, I would see it done.

So many people know me here, and think kindly of me, that I am certain. These, however, were small drawbacks, and easily forgotten when the cloth was cleared, and the dessert put on the table; at which period of the entertainment the handy young man was discovered to be speechless. Regards, Mayer

Reply to
mayer hirsch

replying to mayer hirsch, kerryphilips wrote: Kitchen cabinets hide tons of stuff, and most of it is heavy, breakable, perishable or just plain awkward. You'll need at least one helper for lifting and holding cabinets in place during the fastening process.

Reply to
kerryphilips

Alas, because you did not post in a timely manner to a question 7 years ago the OP was killed when he tried to move a kitchen cabinet by himself and it fell on him. Like you, he was dumb enough to try to move the cabinet without removing the contents.

Reply to
bud--