Clever Window Well Idea: Is this allowed?

We are finishing our basement and have a problem with one of our window wells. If we cut it out to spec, then it protrudes directly into our driveway (which is already narrow). We have thought of a couple solutions and would like to hear advice or opinions.

Solution #1: We thought about finding a window well cover that was strong enough to be able to drive a car over. After looking online, we realize that those are not readily available. And not wanting to have to tear up our driveway we thought of:

Solution #2: This is the one we are not sure is allowed. Most code reads that the well has to protrude out 36" from the window. Are you allowed to set the window back into the room in order to decrease the distance from which the window well extends from the side of the house? We are talking about building the window about a foot in from the wall of the basement bedroom. This would leave a good 2 feet protruding outside the house, and we wouldn't have to tear out our driveway.

Any advice?

Reply to
Nate

Isn't the object of the code requirement to allow sufficient room for a person to exit the basement bedroom through the window in the event of a fire? Seems that what you are proposing would never fly as I can't see how a person is going to climb through the 2 foot opening between your house wall and the driveway. Even a window well cover you could drive over would not work unless it was easily kicked out of place from below in the event of an emergency.

Tom G.

Reply to
Tom G

"Tom G" wrote in news:pOweg.5303$%C6.4115@trnddc08:

Cut a notch in the driveway around the window. Seems the easiest.

Reply to
spartacus

Remove the window !

Reply to
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Install the correct size window well with a steel grate to support people and vehicles. it lays in place so it can easily be removed.

any chance to install egress ingress window on a non driveway facing side?

block walls can be changed with some work and a additional window can not only provide access but add light which ultimately adds resale value

Reply to
hallerb

if the room is ever used as a sleeping area it must have 2 ways out in case of fire futhermore you cant sell the home as X bedrooms if it doesnt meet code

Reply to
hallerb

Thanks guys - The other exterior wall in the bedroom cannot accomodate a window. Tom, you are right; our idea would yield a 2 foot opening between the well's side and the side of the house. It seemed to me that this might not be allowed by code, but I have been unable to find a specific prohibition anywhere. The only thing that I have been able to find is a clause that says a window well must project from the window (note that it doesn't say side of house) by at least 3 feet, and must be at least 3 feet in width.

Reply to
Nate

One thing I forgot to add. The existing window already sits at least 1

1/2 ft. above grade. We measured the distance from the siding at the top of the window to where the edge of the window well would be and it is 28". If we made this distance 36" (which would make the edge of the well a little less than 2 1/2 ft. out from the house) would that satisfy the code requirement of the 36" space to exit from?
Reply to
Nate

Is this window serving as a means of egress? If so, you're hosed. If not, then dig the hole, and drop in a concrete well low enough to put steel grating over it. In fact, trench across the whole driveway, 3' wide, put a steel grill over it with pop-out panels, and use the resulting pit as an easy place to do oil changes and repairs on the car.

Reply to
Goedjn

Not even then. There might be a car on top of it.

Reply to
Goedjn

Go talk to your local code officer (inspector or whatever they call it in your state/country). He or she will know the local code well, and will be the person who makes a decision about it anyway. They are usually quite helpful when approached in advance of work, and might be able to give you other suggestions.

If they dismiss the idea right away, politely show them the clause you mentioned above, and ask them what part of the code prohibits it.

T.

Reply to
Terry

I occurs to me that, if you're desparate, you can probably just dig up the driveway, and drop it a foot or so to get the required clearance.

Reply to
Goedjn

Perhaps you will understand why your idea does not meet the intent of the code by understanding the purpose of that window well. It's size is set to allow you to escape from a fire that cuts off your other egress pathway from that room and to allow a fully equipped firefighter who is wearing a self contained breathing apparatus on her/his back to enter to effect rescue. There must be three feet of clearance in both dimensions at the top of the well to allow people to climb into and out of it.

Reply to
Thomas D. Horne, FF EMT