Dryer Vent: Window Well Covers...

Greetings gurus...

I've a dryer I am installing directly in front of a basement window. That window has a window well cover

I had planned on taking out one of the panes of glass in the window and constructing a vent. Of course, this vent would exhaust into the well and cover.

Should I be concerned about condensation and the general integrity of this idea...? Would it be better to go through a beam (wood, cedar shingles) a construct a dedicated vent (rather than using window)...?

Many thanks in advance for ideas...

Reply to
waves2ya

For aesthetics, yes. A vent through a window hole just looks hillbilly, IMHO. Will it work with a cover on the window well? Not very well- that is a pretty small space, and the air will get saturated quickly, even of the window well cover isn't a tight fit. It'll be a mini-rainforest, and things will start growing in there. I'd go through the rim joist above the sill plate, and put a proper flapper cap on it. If those words are confusing, just google 'dryer vent installation', or pick up a DIY book. There are lots of pictures out there.

Mine goes through a window pane, and exits under the 18" tall back deck. When and if I get around to reskinning the deck, that will change, not sure exactly how yet. Maybe an external snorkel up through the deck, or a lift-out panel for access. (You need to be able to get to the outside flapper to clean it.)

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

I have seen the dryer vent through the window pane set-up before. It is certainly possible to do it that way. However the air from the dryer needs to flow outside somehow otherwise the clothes won't dry. Unless you prop the window well cover open you will be preventing the dryer from operating properly. You can also count on the window well getting covered with lint.

Reply to
John Grabowski