Dryer vent hose is filling up with water!

My wife complained that the dryer has been running for 3 1/2 hours.
I just replaced the vent hose a couple of weeks ago and the dryer has been working fine.
Now I went down to the basement to see what was going on and the vent hose is full of water. Gallons.
We're getting ready to put our house on the market, really didn't want to buy new appliances just to give them away.
Any ideas?

Sure- Re-do your vent hose so it doesn't hold water. Gravity is your friend.
Jim
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

What's causing the condensation to occur if it really is exhaust moisture? I'm guessing it's either outside water or another leak somehow getting in not from the dryer itself; never seen that kind of water volume in a dry discharge--it's hot and in vapor phase unless something is going to somehow block air flow and condense it out.

If there really are *gallons*, as the OP says, then the hose has a low spot- which as soon as it fills becomes a bit of a condenser and doesn't allow any venting.
If this is a gas dryer the OP is risking CO poisoning. If it is an electric, then his only fear is burning his house down.
Jim
Jim Elbrecht wrote: ...

Indeed but the point I was making was what caused this to initiate to begin with to collect that first amount of sufficient magnitude? Never seen such a thing from dryer exhaust alone; can't imagine it.
replying to Jim Elbrecht, Mer_mom wrote: LOL! Oh, that's all?
replying to Jim Elbrecht, Matt Hohmann wrote: My wife did the exact same thing said it was taken about three to three and a half hours for the clothes to dry so I checked the vent from outside and also from inside where the dryer hooks to the wall I use my Shop-Vac and literally got gallons of water along with mass quantity of lint buildup. I have also never heard or seen anything like this until I saw it for myself.
Mitch wrote:

That much water didn't come from the dryer in a couple of weeks.
Hint: Did it rain recently?

Gallons?
That means you have at *least* 16.5 pounds of water in the hose.
What type of hose clamps do you use...I'd like to buy some...they must be pretty strong.

check for a low spot in line like a drip loop that allows water to collect, that happened to me.
and make certain the vent hood is open and unobstructed, it might be stuck shut.
another less likely is a kid with a hose sprayed water down your vent line
clipped

That would be my guess...can't imagine what else unless there is a sprinkler head shooting water in from outside.
On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 17:12:56 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net"

My dryer vents through the roof. So, some gobblin or sprinkler would be ruled out (mostly).

In that case perhaps the vent cap blew off or got pulled off by a raccoon. Or rain got blown in.

Good answer.
Pending an OP review and comment.
--
"Well, it doesn't happen all the time, but when it happens, it happens
constantly." -- Customer
wrote:

email response not expected but to respond remove .uk at end TIA Hank
replying to norminn, Big_Will wrote: This can absolutely happen just dumped a gallon out of my dry hose other sites say you can get 1-2 gallons the water is coming from the wet clothes and condensing in the hose before it can get exhausted. If the dryer hose is too long or restricted condensation will occur in the pipe and water will coalesce back down to the low spot in the vent. in my case I repaired the heater element and while the unit was down I cleaned the inside of the unit completely. My big mistake was not understanding the vent hose it was about 4feet long and after clamping it in place I crinkled it up after sliding the unit back into place. Another previous comment Dre doubt on the ability of the hose clamps to hold 16 pounds of water. It is possible, in fact I was surprised this tinfoil looking hose could even hold water it is so easy to puncture a hole and was amazed it held water while I unclamped it and carried it full of water to the outside to dump it.
On Sat, 13 Oct 2018 15:44:08 GMT, Big_Will

I know this is an OLDS thread - but it bears repeating. A drier vent should NOT be a HOSE.
The vent should be an aluminum hard duct, run straight up from the drier,then sloped downwards to the external vent the same as a plumbing drain. It should be taped at all joints, not screwed (screws catch lint, causing the pipe to plug). The duct should be assembled with all internal joints pointed "downstream" for the same reason. Any vent in "unconditioned space" should be insulated if more than4-6 feet. Look into the magnrtic duct connectors (google "magvent") to eliminate the problem with flexible connections to the drier, or use the optional side outlet on the drier if space connects. Virtually all driers are convertible to side outlet - and it is a very simple job.
On 10/13/2018 2:08 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

Mine is flexible aluminum. A repairman pointed out that the flexible plastic coated type spring I was using was not code and a drier fire might not be covered by insurance because of this.

Sure. Portray it as a feature. Not as a problem.
I'm sre you don't need a new dryer.
The problem is at the hose, not the dryer.

Is the entire dryer vent line clear? Can you feel air coming out of the outside vent?