Dryer vent hose is filling up with water!

replying to Jim Elbrecht, Mer_mom wrote: LOL! Oh, that's all?

Reply to
Mer_mom

replying to Mitch, Matthew Kirk wrote: I just had the same issue, and my vent was clogged on the exterior, it is going over top of the basement area i am currently finishing so I'm moving it to run across the unfinished part now

Reply to
Matthew Kirk

replying to ncben108, OCMamabear wrote: We have the same problem! I now have to suck out water daily from the outside vent. Seems to fill with about 1 gallon of water after a load of wash/dry. Our line also runs under the house to the outside wall. I'm guessing 8 feet. Has anyone thought of a solution? I'd hate to have to hire out a plumber to figure out what's up...

research. I have the same problem. I have to use a shop vac and clean out my dryer vent each week. 2.5 gallons....a week. Dryer has been SLOW to dr y (3 hours a load) and now it's not heating at all. The other problem is t hat the vent actually runs from the dryer to the wall, underneath my home a nd then back up from the grass outside, and it's at least 15 feet from the laundry room to the exhaust outside. I'm terrified that we are going to ha ve to move the vent.

Reply to
OCMamabear

replying to Matthew Kirk, DIYguyGoSharks wrote: For What it's worth. When the moist, warm air inside the vent pipe takes a long journey and then reaches the cold attic air, it condenses back to a liquid and flows through the vent pipe to the base of the clothes dryer. One of the simplest solutions would be to insulate the outside of the exposed pipe in the attic area.Dec 5, 2009 How to properly vent a dryer to avoid water woes | The Seattle Times

DIYguyGoSharks

replying to Mitch, Lois Willman wrote: We had the same problem and found out that the vent piping was blocked near the end. Cleaned it out with a vent cleaning rotating brush sold at Lowes and Home Depot. That solved the problem.

Reply to
Lois Willman

replying to Jim Elbrecht, Matt Hohmann wrote: My wife did the exact same thing said it was taken about three to three and a half hours for the clothes to dry so I checked the vent from outside and also from inside where the dryer hooks to the wall I use my Shop-Vac and literally got gallons of water along with mass quantity of lint buildup. I have also never heard or seen anything like this until I saw it for myself.

Reply to
Matt Hohmann

replying to Mitch, Greg wrote: The most likely reason for the water in the dryer vent hose is a blockage somewhere in the vent near the roof. If there is not sufficient airflow then there is nowhere for the moist air to escape causing condensation in the line. Get them runs back and all the way down into the dryer vent hose. This is fairly common when there is a long run of ductwork and also in colder climates. My guess is you few get up on the roof and check the damper, you will find that there is a problem with the flapper or it is just completely clogged

Reply to
Greg

replying to norminn, Big_Will wrote: This can absolutely happen just dumped a gallon out of my dry hose other sites say you can get 1-2 gallons the water is coming from the wet clothes and condensing in the hose before it can get exhausted. If the dryer hose is too long or restricted condensation will occur in the pipe and water will coalesce back down to the low spot in the vent. in my case I repaired the heater element and while the unit was down I cleaned the inside of the unit completely. My big mistake was not understanding the vent hose it was about 4feet long and after clamping it in place I crinkled it up after sliding the unit back into place. Another previous comment Dre doubt on the ability of the hose clamps to hold 16 pounds of water. It is possible, in fact I was surprised this tinfoil looking hose could even hold water it is so easy to puncture a hole and was amazed it held water while I unclamped it and carried it full of water to the outside to dump it.

Reply to
Big_Will

I know this is an OLDS thread - but it bears repeating. A drier vent should NOT be a HOSE.

The vent should be an aluminum hard duct, run straight up from the drier,then sloped downwards to the external vent the same as a plumbing drain. It should be taped at all joints, not screwed (screws catch lint, causing the pipe to plug). The duct should be assembled with all internal joints pointed "downstream" for the same reason. Any vent in "unconditioned space" should be insulated if more than4-6 feet. Look into the magnrtic duct connectors (google "magvent") to eliminate the problem with flexible connections to the drier, or use the optional side outlet on the drier if space connects. Virtually all driers are convertible to side outlet - and it is a very simple job.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Mine is flexible aluminum. A repairman pointed out that the flexible plastic coated type spring I was using was not code and a drier fire might not be covered by insurance because of this.

Reply to
Frank

Greetings Mitch!

Hope all is well on your end.This is in regards to dryer vent/hose thread from ten years ago. Im currently experiencing the aforementioned problem! Minus gallons of water. Instead, volume of water is closer to 2/3 C.

Was the root identified?

Did you solve the problem? If yes ] Will you please share your solution with me? If not ] Did you hire professional repair services? Did they at least solve the problem?

I sincerely appreciate all advice that you or anyone else with similar experience can provide. Hopefully 10 years later you all have awesome solutions. I will be awaiting optimistically! Hopefully there was a solution and no need for any of you to replace the dryer.

Respectfully, Lori Perez

Reply to
Lori Perez

Greetings Mitch!

Hope all is well on your end.This is in regards to dryer vent/hose thread from ten years ago. Im currently experiencing the aforementioned problem! Minus gallons of water. Instead, volume of water is closer to 2/3 C.

Was the root identified?

Did you solve the problem? If yes ] Will you please share your solution with me? If not ] Did you hire professional repair services? Did they at least solve the problem?

I sincerely appreciate any advice that you or anyone else with similar experience can provide. This will be a HUGE help, Optimistically, there was a solution and no need for dryer replacement.

Respectfully,

Lori Perez

Reply to
Lori Perez

I have just come across this problem with our gas dryer that is in out brick shed. dryer stopped working because vent hose was filled with a gallon of water and the gas ignition wouldn't start. Emptied the water and it works once again. I think the simplest solution in our case is to replace the vent hose with an insulated one to prevent the condensation.https://www.amazon.co.uk/Insulation-Aluminum-Clothing-Lightproof-Include/dp/B07RWHS7TZ

Reply to
RandallEvans1

How long had the hose been working? Seems to me it would take years, if not eternity, to get a whole gallon of water in it. Sure there's no leak that lets water in? What about a drain hole? Maybe just a plain hole coveed with tape, and every 6 months you take off the tape, let the water out, and put on new tape? Personally I'm a curious type, and I would try this first not only because it's cheaper and easier but even more importantly just to see if the water would come back, how long it would take, if it increased after rain, humid weather, drying certain kinds of clothes, etc.

When you suggest insulated, that means you think there has been condensation. maybe just run the dryer for a couple minutes after the clothes are completely dry, to blow the humid air out of the hose. Well I never completely dry my clothes because I think in the last few minutes without the evaporating water to absorb the heat the clothes get much hotter and it's bad for the clothes, esecially the permanentn press, so instead, just run the dryer for a couple minutes after the clothes have been removed from the dryer, to blow the humid air out of the hose. But I dont' think I'd try this until I after I tried the first paragraph suggestion, to know how big and how frequent is the current, unsolved problem.

Reply to
micky

Replace that flex-vent crap with rigid aluminum pipe. If you install with the seams down, any condensate will drain thru the seams.

Stacey Abrams