Wiring a phone jack

I found the phone line that has 6 conductors. White wire w/ Orange White wire w/ Green Green wire w/ White Blue wire w/ white White wire w/ Blue Orange wire w/ White

I ran a wire but it has 4 conductors. Red Green Yellow Black

How do i wire this for Verizon DSL ? Do i have to use all 6 Conductor's ?

Reply to
desgnr

Tried google for info?

Reply to
LouB

On Thu 08 Jul 2010 07:08:30a, desgnr told us...

Most of us would probably be guessing since there is no apparent direct correlation between the colors. Why not call Verizon technical support?

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Blue Blue/white is line one, red green Orange is line 2 Green is line 3

Reply to
gfretwell

This is what I have done, and it works for me. It is getting more difficult to do, as the old type phones are not available any more.

Wires come into the house in pairs, and the number of pairs dictate the number of lines. 8 wires, four lines. 4 wires, two lines.

Wires are used in pairs. The solid color and the striped one with that same color with the white stripe is one line. You can use a test phone and touch the wires to the incoming lugs, and when you hit the right two wires, you will get a dial tone.

It's that simple.

Steve

visit my blog at

watch for the book

Reply to
Steve B

I can see that you know absolutely nothing about the subject. Let me explain how this newsgroup works. People write in with questions, and if someone has knowledge, they answer back. To refer someone to google is saying, "I'm stupid and I don't know anything about your question. Why don't you go to the library?" If you don't know anything, it's okay. Really. Just don't look like a fool by saying go to google. Just get out of the way and let someone who knows give the person answers.

HTH, but I really doubt it.

Steve

visit my blog at

watch for the book

Reply to
Steve B

You would only need one pair of wires if you are connecting just one line/DSL.

It would normally be:

white with blue strips connects to Green blue with white strips connects to Red

in case you have a second line to worry about, it would be white with orange strips - Black orange with white strips - Yellow

But if it does not work, be ready to try any combination of the 6 conductors there is just in case someone did not connect that cable properly on the other end. You never know ...

------------------------------------- /\_/\ ((@v@)) NIGHT ():::() OWL VV-VV

Reply to
DA

If the DSL filter is in the Dmark, expect the filtered voice line to be blue blue/white and the unfiltered DSL on the orange orange/white. That is the convention. A quick peek in the Dmark would confirm that. You would get dial tone on both but the DSL would not work.

Reply to
gfretwell

Your answer is reminiscent of a fellow who used to post over on another newsgroup. He had a travel website with reports about cruise ships, ports and excursions on it. Whenever someone would post to the newsgroup with a question about a ship etc. the fellow would post something to the effect, "You should visit my website at

where you will find answers to your questions." If you're going to refer someone to Google or Bing, perhaps it would be more appropriate and productive to at least include the phrase they should use in the search or even some of your own search result URL's.

Nonny

Reply to
Nonny

It must really hard thinking you know all the answers.

This search matching multi-color phone wires to old solid colors Got this result: About 138,000 results (0.47 seconds) Here is the link:

LouB

Feed a man a fish feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish feed for a lifetime.

BUT you can not teach how to think:-((

Reply to
LouB

actually there is. his first wire is a CAT5 or CAT6 network cable. The second is a regular phone wire. There are standards for how to hook up both. I'm too lazy to google it right now but hopefully I've thrown enough keywords out there to get him the info he needs. (I don't know the answer off the top of my head as I have not run into CATx used for phone wiring yet, but I understand it is becoming common on new construction.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

So you're telling the world that one of those 138,000 (about) answers in 47 seconds has the correct information the OP is looking for? If you want to be anything but a smartass google recommender, then provide the particular correct link. I trust that everybody here knows how to use google and the many other search engines.

Teach a braggart to keep his mouth shut and you'll be teaching him to live a long life, possibly even with friends..

Actually this convention long predates "Cat" anything. The pe;ephone company uses this in any cable except the 4 wire (or 3 wire before the Princess phone) station wire used in the house.

Reply to
gfretwell

On Thu 08 Jul 2010 04:11:49p, Nate Nagel told us...

I don't doubt that one bit, Nate. However, I still think few would actually know which wire should connect to which wire unless you accustomed to working with such.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

I always google for "I have a problem". I learned that from some of the subject lines in this and other ngs.

It seems to work well. I get loads of hits, though I think it's the same ones each time.

Reply to
mm

The colors do matter for anyone coming in behind you.

White/blue stripe = green - tip

Blue/white stripe or solid blue = red - ring

This makes up line one.

White/orange stripe = black - tip

Orange/white stripe or solid orange = yellow - ring

This makes up line two

The color code is:

White & blue = pair 1

White & orange = pair 2

White $ Green = pair 3

White & brown = pair 4

White & slate(gray) = pair 5

The color codes were developed by The Bell System in the early 1940's and I deal with it all the time. Here are some links that will make it clearer to you.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

So what's the correct answer, or haven't you learned how to do that one? Here's the answer.

Smarty

desgnr

I connected MY RED to Blue with White I connected MY Black to White with Orange I connected MY Yellow to Orange with White I connected MY Green to White with Blue

It does not work, I even tried to reverse The Red & Green Still does not work.