crown molding on full overlay kitchen wall cabinets

I looked at full overlay kitchen cabinets ( no frame exposed) and wanted to get this for my kitchen remodel. If I am installing the wall cabinets to the ceiling how do you install the crown molding if there is no frame exposed? I am assuming the cabinet would have to get mounted a few inches below the ceiling, but is there a method of doing this on full overlay cabinets?

Reply to
Mikepier

on 7/23/2007 4:46 PM Mikepier said the following:

Drop the cabinets. Install a nailing strip along the top of the cabinets, either by gluing with a strong glue or with screws up through the top of the cabinets.

Reply to
willshak

Yes

Yes. Or by mounting it to the ceiling in line before hanging the cabinets. (My preferred method).

Reply to
dpb

Thanks for the inputs. Just out of curiosity, I was thinking since the cabinet doors cover the whole frame, I would not put molding at all. The door itself would pretty much hide where the cabinet meets the ceiling. I saw this in a neighbors house and it looked pretty good. Anyone else not use molding at all on full overlay cabinets?

Reply to
Mikepier

I've not seen many mounted clear to the ceiling w/o at least a narrow soffit or trim but there's nothing that says you have to use a crown if the look fits...

Reply to
dpb

This might work if your ceiling is perfectly level and perfectly straight. Since most are not, the molding (or some other extra trim piece) is usually scribed to fit the ceiling and serves to hide the irregularities.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen