tile thickness - door scraping

My garage entry door swings out onto a slab (which is an entry way I wanted to dress up with tile to hile the concrete crack) There is only the clearance about the height of aluminum threshold approx.

1/2" . Too bad when I installed the door I forgot about the tiles I wanted to install.

I put a piece of tile to test and the sweeper of the door scrapes it a bit but still operable (not considering the thinset yet) I think I will have to remove the sweeper. It would be nice to have some kind of sealing at the bottom of the door, but it's only a garage door.

Is there any way to gain the clearance or minimize the thickness of tiles installation..? Can a masonary grinding wheel be used to remove slight amount of material in the door swing area? The area is covered so there is no standing water.

I do not want to re-hang the door or convert to in-swing door. Maybe a concrete stain or patio paint with the appropiate patch to seal the crack is a better solution?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
pooreclipse

Shorten the door, or use a different type of sweep that fastens to the side of the door rather than the bottom.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

You might need to cut the door at the bottom...hope not.

Pull the sweep off; chances are, if like mine you won't find the sweep local or they will be hard to find. I just put weatherstrip and new sweeps on three doors in my house (10 year old...)

If you have clearance, plus calculating thinset - set the tile.

Find a sweep with a "L" shape/channel too screw to the bottom of the door.

-- Oren

"I didn?t say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."

Reply to
Oren

Thinking way outside the box, how about some nifty linoleum remnants? They're very thin, come in 12' wide chunks sometimes, have subdued patterns in the industrial grades and can be stuck down to concrete very well. Look around...you may find somethng that will inspire your wild and crazy creative nature. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I am trying to avoid shortening the door as it's an expensive fiberglass door and my door triming ability isn't very good. I would have to move up the threshold too and that involves some destruction.

I checked and and beside the sweeper, on the threshold, there is a horizontal facing trip of rubber to seal the door as well, At this point I think it's not a big deal to remove the bottom sweeper because my 2 car garage door has a bigger gap than this door.

So I th>

Reply to
pooreclipse