Placing kitchen cabinets directly on the studs

Gutting my kitchen at the moment. What a mess! Is there any reason that kitchen cabinets cannot or should not be mounted directly onto studs? That is, with no sheetrock behind them. Planning on plywood with cement backer board between the uppers and lowers for a tile backsplash. Uppers will go to within 3 inches of the ceiling with some type of molding on top. So the walls will be covered top to bottom and the open wall would allow last minute flexibility for wiring/plumbing ect. Thanks

Reply to
Mike in Arkansas

How will you seal the joint between the tile backer and bottom of the cabinet? What happens if you ever want to replace the cabinets and they are a different size than the open hole. When I did mine, I cut a 4x8 sheet of drywall in half longways, laid one 2' section along the bottom, and the other along the top, then put the 4x8 tile backer in between. This way the bottom joint was behind the lower cabinets and the upper joint was behind the upper cabinets. I screwed it in place and only mudded what would show above the upper so the bottom could be removed if needed. I think your required to have drywall covering the insulation to meet fire codes anyway.

Reply to
Eugene Nine

Several.

Insulation if on an outside wall.

Also may be a problem meeting fire codes.

Certain there are others, these are just a couple that come to mind.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Reply to
wayne mak

Thanks Eugene, Wayne and Lew. Guess I wasn't thinking about fire codes when I posted that. Great tips though on the backerboard and plywood.

Reply to
Mike in Arkansas

Actually, it's best to hang cabinets, especially if they're more than a few feet in total, assembled length. Locking them down solid like that can cause strange gaps/joints to open, etc., due to seasonal changes in humidity, etc.. Contrary to what some people are going to say, a properly hung cabinet set will not move around, and cannot be accidentally lifted off its hangars.

Pop

Reply to
PopS