Kitchen cabinets: common DIY mistakes?

Im sitting here looking at my old 1970s ugly and delapitaded kitchen cabiets. Im thinking to myself "How hard can it be to replce"? With the exception of the long sink/dishwasher run with plumbing and a tricker couter top (L-shaped), the rest of the kitchen seems basic: level, shim secure to studs. Am I missing somethign? ;^)

Im sure I am. What are the most common mistakes made by DIYers? I figure even if I mess up somewhere, its still WAY better whats there now. Thoughts?

Thanks Todd in Cincinnati

Reply to
Todd W. Roat

The most common mistake is believing it's an easy job.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

It ain't super-easy, but it ain't brain surgery either. Take your time, take your time, take your time....that's all the advice you need to make a good job of it. A 2nd pair of hands is a big help, but it can be done by one person. Oh, and be sure and take your time...measure, level, shim and secure.

Reply to
Curmudgeon

According to HA HA Budys Here :

True... ;-)

The OP may want to consider whether the existing cabinetry is in reasonably good condition, and if so, replacement doors and a little sprucing up may be all he needs.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Don't buy cheap crap cabinets. Avoid particle board at all costs.

Reply to
Stoic

The most common mistake is insufficient detail in planning. It helps to have an experienced kitchen designer review your plan, down to the moulding details and the types of pulls (handles). Then find an experienced finishing kitchen installer to carefully review the plan, too. Otherwise, even when you think that you've covered everything, you'll find that there's something that you wish you would have done differently.

Reply to
You Asked

Good answer! Hope I didnt offend anyone with that perception. I know it will be hard, I think waht I meant to say is "isnt it straighforward". Thanks

Reply to
Todd W. Roat

On that note: we had considered new doors. When ordering new doors, and you want a more modern light wood style, and your orignals are dark 1970s cabinets - what are your options?

Reply to
Todd W. Roat

The easyest way is to change the doors of the cabinet. Even you can buy already done doors. The only you need is to apply a finish to them...

Reply to
Faustino Dina

Design: If you design a stack of drawers on an inside corner of your layout, include a 1" filler - so the drawers will clear the hardware on the adjacent run of cabinets.

Installation: Start at the highest point on the floor - easy to shim up, but hard to grind off a cabinet to lower it. Pencil a level reference line on the wall. Use a framing square to plumb down to any cutouts needed (pipes, electrical, etc.)Mark the reference line so you can transfer the measurements to the cabinet to be cut.

For the wall cabinets, start with the corner cabinet if you are using one. Shim out to account for the worst place the wall bows into the kitchen space.

Use clamps while screwing adjacent cabinets together.

Good luck,

Bram Sorgman

Reply to
Bram Sorgman

before you get new doors. ask around for someone who builds cabinets. see the price difference. we were in the same boat. a friend recommended this guy. we have around 20 cabinets beside the dw. it is going to cost 8,000. that is for birch ply and poplar case, and white oak fronts. also includes laminate counters.

Reply to
dkarnes

According to Todd W. Roat :

Are you planning on staying with wood grain? If not, just paint the exposed surfaces. If you are, you can veneer the exposed faces and stain to match. Paint the insides if they're too dark.

Some vendors specialize in refurbishments, and offer "kits" containing doors and face frame refacing materials.

It's simply a matter of what you can afford, and deciding on an appropriate compromise.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

You may need more room than 1" depending on pull/handle hardware and what's on the other side (oven/dishwasher/etc.).

Reply to
TinMan1332

Quite a few options, depending on whether your cabs are real wood all the way thru or wood veneer. If it's real wood, you're in luck because what you're looking at isn't how the wood looked when the tree got cut down. The cabinetry would just need to be stripped and refinished to whatever state close to or removed from the natural tone you want. In fact, when refinishing, there's nothing that says the doors have to perfectly match the countertops and/or cabinetry. Having nicely contrasting cabs and doors with some killer modern-looking hardware can be pretty zesty eye candy in addition to reducing the cash cost.

If they're veneer, there are companies out there that can remove the old veneer and replace it with whatever wood look you want.

AJS

Reply to
AJScott

Reply to
nospambob

Thanks for all the warnings and advise - it helps. I think all of you should just come over and "show me what you mean" ;^)

Reply to
Todd W. Roat