Unusual door knob sizes

Recently bought a house built in the 50's. The front and rear door have been replaced recently, but I wanted to replace the knobs on the interior doors. Modern door knobs are sold with two settings for the distance between the knob and door edge: 2 3/8" and 2 3/4". I bought replacement knobs, but the old knobs seem to be somewhere between these two settings. When I put the new knob in, the 2 3/4" setting is too far, and the 2 3/8" is too close to the door edge. Do they sell knobs sized for my door holes?

The solution may be to cut a bigger diameter hole, but with a dozen or so doors in the house I don't really want to go through all of this if they sell knobs that are sized correctly for my doors.

Thanks.

-------------------------------------

Reply to
richlb

IIRC, there have been sources for elderly hardware listed in 'This Old House' magazine. Might be other listings in popular magazines. Some serious Google/Bing searches ought to turn up some clues. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

On 12/4/2010 10:30 AM richlb spake thus:

Wait a minute: are you replacing doorknobs or the door *locksets*? Sounds like the latter.

A doorknob doesn't care how far from the edge of the door it is, right?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

| Recently bought a house built in the 50's. The front and rear door have | been replaced recently, but I wanted to replace the knobs on the interior | doors. Modern door knobs are sold with two settings for the distance | between the knob and door edge: 2 3/8" and 2 3/4". I bought replacement | knobs, but the old knobs seem to be somewhere between these two settings. | When I put the new knob in, the 2 3/4" setting is too far, and the 2 3/8" | is too close to the door edge. Do they sell knobs sized for my door holes?

I have the same hardware; seems to be about 2 1/2" backset. While there are some knob sets that claim to be adjustable "from" 2 3/8" to 2 3/4" all the ones I looked at were not continuous, i.e., they were only one size or the other. I used a Schlage set in the 2 3/8" position with the plates removed from the latch (their "drive in option") and then I screwed the outer plate in place to add a little stability and for cosmetic purposes. The result is that the latch doesn't protrude far into the strike but it works. I had to remove a very small amount of material from a point in the hole that was binding the latch mechanism but that probably has to do with the specific way the hole was cut in the first place. I also had to slightly enlarge the strike opening since the Schlage latch is a little further "out" than the old hardware.

Dan Lanciani ddl@danlan.*com

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

Pardon the top posting.

May I be so bold as to suggest that you be as tolerant of the homeowners hub people as the rest of us are of your insistence on top posting.

You know better they don't.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

As the most verbose poster here I admire your succinctness. You've nailed it.

I, for one, find those repetitive HH scolds pretty bothersome and rude. Would you turn away a neighbor knocking on your door to ask for your help because he used the side door and not the front door? I find it even more ironic because it's a totally un-Christian attitude, turning away someone asking for help. "What man is there among you who, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone?"

Just ask yourself how you would feel if someone greeted perhaps your first post to Usenet with "go away, you're not asking the question the right way!" Subconciously, it's an attempt to exert authority. Some people need to feel in charge of everything very badly and without realizing it set up schemas they can enforce, particularly against newcomers who may not know there's

*no one* in charge of most of Usenet.

The Hub gets good placement in Google and appears to be able to expose the group's advice and interaction with a range of new people. Groups ALWAYS need new members to survive and when the ISPs mostly dropped Usenet, AHR took a serious hit. To turn away new members is suicidal thinking, even if their initial contact is through the HH or some other republisher. Ask the Shakers about the need for new members to survive - nice furniture but bad business plan!):

The Hub, whatever evil other evil it has done, funnels new people to AHR. That's a good thing.

At first I, too, wasn't fond of anyone using my words to further their commercial goals, but I realized that I write here because I *like* to help people and learn things. To pretend my words are so damn valuable I can extract $$$$ from HH or enjoin their republication is truly a bizarre attitude to take about posts to Usenet, the very essence of "shared thoughts." "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works."

People have a right to be angry at whatever they want. They even have a right to complain about it from time to time. But clogging up the group with constant, repetitive, unwelcoming scolds? That's a little excessive. Don't want the Hub (or lots of other places) to copy your postings? Then DON'T POST! Very simple solution. "If your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and cast it from you."

It's NEVER time to be such a net nanny that you insist a new guest goes away and comes back *the right way* when they've found a newsreader, a newserver, a way around their employer's firewall, etc. and finally knocked on the right door the right way. "And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others?" It's like telling the neighbor "go back down the path, put on slippers, tip-toe up to the other door and use the secret doorknock code." Someone with a leaky faucet doesn't want to become a Usenet expert to fix the leak nor should they have to if alternatives exist. The Hub is such an alternative.

A student of group dynamics would consider the unilateral creation and enforcement of a ban on the Hub as a subconcious attempt to place oneself in a position of authority by enforcing rules not generally agreed to by the majority. Posting in a non-conforming style not used by almost the entire rest of the group is a similar attempt to cloak one's self in authority by saying "I am above the law" or even more megalomaniacally, "I *am* the law!"

It's a little sad, but that's Usenet. I'd be embarrassed to do it, but obviously, mileage, as they say, varies. I want to make my posts as accessible as possible. To reply to something without even a single quoted sentence suggesting WTF you're talking about seems to be antithetical to that goal of making myself understood. It's like body piercings and tatoos - a "look at me! I'm different" sort of thing.

A real Christian would not be so hung up on process, but would remember to: "Give to him who asks you, and from him who wants to borrow from you do not turn away."

Want to *really* learn about Jesus?

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green