Active closet door knob.

Hi,

Does any company produce a closet doorknob with a deadbolt mechanism. I don't want it to be lockable by a key, I just want it to be a privacy knob on the outside and nothing on the inside. Think of it as a one-sided privacy knob. Or as a half dummy trim that's not a dummy. I have checked that Shlage and Kwikset don't such knobs.

Thanks!

Aaron Fude

Reply to
aaronfude

OK, I'm confused.

AFAIK, a privacy lockset and a deadbolt lockset are two very different animals.

Privacy locksets are typically spring loaded mechanisms with angled latches while deadbolts are "fixed throw" mechanisms where the bolt is either retracted into the lockset or extended into the jam.

If you are really looking for a deadbolt that is thrown by turning a privacy-type knob, I'd be curious as to why. Could you explain further?

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
DerbyDad03

When he comes home and the guy hides in the closet, he doesn't want him to sneak out and get away. Otherwise, what's in the closet he needs privacy FROM?

Reply to
hvsteve

And who's getting locked in the closet? :-)

Reply to
Sam E

Doubt you will find one. Kids have a way of getting into closets and it is not a safe way to set up the door. Chances of death are slim, but I would not want my kids trapped like that. Same reason bathroom knobs have no key, but can be popped open in an emergency with a straight wire.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The only purpose for the type of lockset you are describing is to lock someone in a room without them having the ability to free themself. I hope you are describing it incorrectly. If not, what are you doing?

Reply to
Eric9822

The only purpose for the type of lockset you are describing is to lock someone in a room without them having the ability to free themself. I hope you are describing it incorrectly. If not, what are you doing?

Reply to
Eric9822

Hi,

Thanks to everyone who responded, including those who suspected me of perversion. :)

The reason for my original question is very simple. I have a couple of towel closets (that couldn't fit a wife's lover or even a kid) with full size doors and they don't stay closed since the house is old and they are a little crooked. All I want is for them to "click shut" and not open, but there's no space on the inside for a knob. So there you go.

Thanks again,

Aaron Fude

Reply to
aaronfude

That's exactly why they make "closet knobsets" that are identical to a non-lock bedroom set except that there is no knob on one side. ANY place that sells locksets will have these.

Reply to
Rick Brandt

Several door catches are available in the cabinet hardware line.

Think magnet.

Reply to
HeyBub

Who are you planning to lock in the closet, Aaron? And why?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Been there, done that. Look for something like this:

use a dummy knobset for the outside.

Reply to
Grandpa

If the door is thick enough, I think you can use a standard deadbolt but not put on the keyhole side. I don't know if it needs the other half at all or not -- I suspect not -- but if you have to modify anything, I'll bet just stuffing a compressed paper wad in it might make up for the missing piece.

I don't know why people think this is a bad idea. I've seen plenty of cabinets and closets with the kind of lock you. Most of these were smaller than what I recommend above. Maybe they were slam locks (spring loaded with triangular bolts, but from the pov of the inside, it doesn't matter if they were slam or dead.

Wouldn't you be just as well off with a slam lock?

I don't think that is to protect kids especially. One can lock himself out of the bathroom even if he is the only one who lives there. So it's just a way to open the door if the door is locked and then closed.

Reply to
mm

Look up the statistics on falls, heart attacks, and other bathroom injuries. It is one of the most dangerous rooms in the house and for safety, you want a simple way in. The lock is meant for privacy, not to keep out burglars.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

My parents used to have some closet doorknobs that had much smaller knobs inside, but still something to turn if you get trapped inside.

Reply to
unknown

Reply to
bigjim

I once had a rent house where the tenants install hooks on all four bedroom doors - on the hallway side.

Trust me, you do NOT want to know the answers to your questions.

Reply to
HeyBub

In that case, write "passage".

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I agree. My mother never locked the bathroom door. I don't remember for sure but I think in the house I grew up in, built around 1939, or in the older houses she lived in earlier, there was any way to get in if the door was locked. Is that possible?

But she never locked the bathroom door, and her reason was good, so I never do either. If someone catches me naked, so be it.

I have these cheap all plastic doorknobs which lock by pushing the knob towards the door. Easy to do by accident. And I've done it and then closed the door a dozen times. So I keep toothpicks above the door trim at each of the bathrooms, and at the closet that I put a locking door knob on. In case I need privacy for a *thing*, I would put it in the closet and lock the door. Someone could get in, but it will slow them down. Even if someone tried to open the lock through the little hole, they would probably use a screwdriver and try to twist it, like non-cheap locks. With mine, you just push towards the door.

I thought about buying fancier doorknobs, but I have 7 doors (4 that lock) and didn't want to spend the money.

Reply to
mm

What you need is a "Ball clasp" they're like 10 bucks at home depot, near the hinges, second shelf up. They mount on the TOP of the door and are spring loaded... you could also just google 'ball clasp' and it'll show you pictures of how it works.

I did this in my house on three closets. Rather than bifold doors, we went with full sized 30" interior double doors just to make it look more luxurious. We then used "DUMMY" handles or "DUMMY" knobs, which are basically just a drawer pull that looks like a doorknob. BUT, if you go out and pick up the ball clasp you won't have to replace ANY of your original hardware in your historic home.

Go with the smallest ball clasp they sell, they'll hold it fine and save you a couple bucks.

Reply to
kellyj00