[SOLVED] how to disable door lock

How do I prevent the bathroom door lock from being "accidentally" locked from the inside?

It is a Weslock with a cylindrical button on the inside next to the doorknob. A previous owner drilled a quarter inch hole on the outside opposite the button and I can see the butt end of the button through the hole. From the inside I can turn the button a half turn and it can easily be wiggled a lot, so is quite loose. I cannot get it to lock when I try, but sometimes when exiting and closing the door behind me I later find I cannot turn the doorknob and am effectively locked out. I think the think is broken because I cannot get it to lock, but that is OK as long as I can permanently keep it from "mysteriously" locking. Obviously, I can just put a new one in, but if there is an easy way to disable the locking mechanism that would be preferred.

Bill

Reply to
billsahiker

Swap it out with a non-locking passage set.

Reply to
gfretwell

With a Philips screwdriver, remove the two screw (one on either side of the knob). Slide the knobs apart. On the edge side of the door, remove the two screws and remove the latch assembly. Take all the parts you disassembled and toss in the garbage. Go to Home Depot or Lowes and for a few bucks buy a new bathroom door knob assembly.

Reply to
jerryl

Oops, typo. Shoulda read:

four layers of duct tape...

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

If you're really too cheap to spend a few bucks for a new lockset, just put three layers of duct tape over the hole in the strike plate.

For a more professional look you could fill the hole in the strike plate with Bondo.

(Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer....)

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

_OR_ just remove the door.

Steve Barker LT

Nah, three layers of duct tape costs too much. One piece over the latch on the door should work.

The Bondo approach works. A previous owner used it on my bathroom doorway. Looks luckin fuvely.

Reply to
KJonsen

Reply to
Anonymous

But if he's too cheap to buy duct tape?

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Does he own a hammer?

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

Weslocks aren't designed to be modified. I'd suggest a different brand of privacy knob. Kwikset comes to mind.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon (on backup com

replying to Jeff Wisnia, Handy mandy wrote: No Jeff. I believe the expression is " There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers."

Reply to
Handy mandy

Now your answer was definitely stupid, Mandy! Why did you wait nearly a decade to come up with that lame reply?

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

replying to billsahiker, Joe wrote: Unscrew the lock and remove the spindal that connects the lock from one side to the other. This will disable the lock permantely.

Reply to
Joe

replying to billsahiker, Donald Kelly wrote: Yes!!, its 11years late but I sought the answer to the same puzzle, Remove doorknob assembly, remove small screws holding the push button in place. The locking bar will slide out along with springs,.replace the pushbutton back into where you removed it. Install knob assembly to door. Thank you!!!!

Reply to
Donald Kelly

replying to Jeff Wisnia, me wrote: It isn't cheap to make adjustments. You're thinking is what is cheap Jeff

Reply to
me

Nor are you replying to a 12 year old thread. Pay attention.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Put a screw into the hole where the lock bar goes into the strike plate and it won't be able to be locked.

Reply to
Will.I.Am

I just took the lock set off the door I didn't want to lock and put it on the one I wanted to lock... The only doors in my home that need locking are the entrance doors.

Reply to
Fixedit

So you put an interior lockset on an entrance door?

What's your address?

Reply to
Marilyn Manson