KVM switch.

My old setup at this workstation was this RISCOS machine and a Win7 one sharing monitor keyboard and mouse. Video is DVI-d and keyboard etc PS2. The feed from the KVM to monitor (DVI-d) was split to DVI-d and HDMI, to
allow the TV above the workbench to display circuit etc diagrams. All worked just as I wanted.
Decided it was time to 'upgrade' to Win10. Which I'm actually quite happy with.
Old PC motherboard wouldn't take Win10, so bought a new expensive ATX bundle. Hoping it would give me another 10 years or so.
Its onboard video out is HDMI. The DVI-d graphics card from the old MB won't work with the new MB. A passive HDMI to DVI-d lead didn't work - even direct to the monitor.
Ordered up an active HDMI to DVI-d converter. That does work direct to the monitor and through the KVM switch - but not with the DVI to DVI/HDMI splitter (for the TV) in place.
Seems to be one step forward, one back.
--
*If all is not lost, where the hell is it?

Dave Plowman wrote:

You're looking backwards trying to keep everything DVI compatible, rather than biting the bullet and moving forwards to HDMI/DP.
A few years back I moved from 4xDVI/PS2 DVI kvm and VGA/DVI monitor to a 2xDP/USB kvm and HDMI/DP monitor ... all works though for the odd occasion I need to hookup an old VGA computer I have an active VGA to HDMI soap on a rope.
Not sure if your ARM box could take USB keyboard and mouse, or you'd need a PS/2 adapter?

I went from a single PC to a double PC setup last year, and went for a HDMI KVM so that I didn't have to get a second monitor/keyboard/mouse. Ever since then I've had a problem with receiving most of the TV channels that I get via Freeview (the BBC and ITV channels along with 4 and 5 are OK, as are the DAB radio channels, everything else is badly broken up) when ever I have either PC running.
Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain
Adrian wrote:

HDMI is sometimes known to interfere at UHF frequencies (depending on resolution and pixel clock) how close is the KVM to any part of your TV wiring?
I've never seen it from DP despite having a tuner card in one of the KVM connected PCs and DP using even higher frequencies in the UHF range.

Thanks for the follow up.
The KVM is about 30" from the trunk that the coax runs through, about 48" from the centre of the TV, and about 80" from the centre of the PVR.
Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

What I would try is a separate HDMI switch from the actual KVM switch. This sounds like a nuisance, but most of them will switch to whichever output is most recently active so provided the PC you have just switched to had a blank screen before you switched the KVM it will not need the button pressing on the HDMI switch as well. Be sure to get a 4k, UHD HDCP 2.2 rated one and it will probably switch the HDMI signals intact.
--

Roger Hayter

Thanks.
I've just looked that up, and it seems to be something that is intended for TVs, whereas I'm using my KVM purely for PC -> monitor HDMI connectivity. Are we talking at cross purposes, or is that the market is overwhelmingly for TVs, but it works just as well for PC displays ?.
Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

I was told it stood for keyboard, video, mouse. Can be VGA, DVI, HDMI, USB and PS2 - with most combinations.
Being basically a switch, no reason not to use it how you want. With mine, it changes sources via the keyboard. Although can be switched manually too.
--
*Funny, I don't remember being absent minded.

Two points. One may be irrelevant, which is that you will need to transmit the copy protection if you are using the monitor to watch copy-protected video - but you may not want to. But my main point was that the KVM switch may not have the bandwidth to transfer high resolution video without loss.
--

Roger Hayter

Thanks.
Not sure if point 1 has been a problem so far (I don't think so), regarding point 2, I don't think that has been a problem either. Of course, both of these points could alter in the future.
Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

My ATEN DVI KVM seems perfectly happy at the maximum resolution this DVI monitor will take.
--
*The statement below is true.

On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 11:55:17 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I do like ATEN KVMs. I have four here (2, 2, 4, and 8 port). Rock solid on unconnected reboots.
Bob Eager wrote:

I have a 4 port DVI and a 2 port DP, they do actually release firmware fixes for many years,

I've already spent a fortune on a new MB. Add in a new monitor, KVM and the price increases - a lot. And this computer doesn't have the option of an HDMI output anyway.
It may be difficult for some to understand, but my previous setup worked perfectly for what I wanted.
--
*If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

I'm thinking your motherboard has multiple video ports and is defaulting to some other output port, if your HDMI TV is not exactly autodetected, by either the BIOS or Window 10.
There may be BIOS options that might help make the default stay as HDMI.
Or it may be Windows 10, just being helpful - moving outputs that it again thinks aren't in use.
--
Adrian C

On 25/07/2020 12:59:50, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

That depends on how smart the KVM switch is. An old one would join the DDC channels together. I'm not sure if graphic card can detect can detect loads on their LVDS outputs and turn them off accordingly.
I don't know anyone who still uses KVM switches.
On 25/07/2020 15:15, Fredxx wrote:

I do, but it's a backup.
Even though it's right in front of me to switch between a possible eight machines, I prefer to use RDP sessions. People who do gaming or video editing wouldn't.
--
Adrian C

On Sat, 25 Jul 2020 11:35:15 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Is there an option to put a remote viewer (e.g. NoMachine) on one box and remove the need for KVM completely ?
On 25/07/2020 11:35:15, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I found KVM switches unreliable where the DDC/EDID functions would clash and so revert to 640x480.
So I moved on to using "remote desktop" and haven't looked back. It also means you don't have to have the machines co-located.

Andy,
Whilst these are not cheap, I a box similar to this for running an Atari into my HDMI TV with no SCART:-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313125627100
but I ended up using it between my BT YouView box (HDMI out) and my TV HDMI In because the TV was not happy with HDMI from the YouView box. Dave