Sighty OT again -- Windows 8.1 Network Password

Yes, I know it's OT. I could not find any newsgroups on Windows 7 or

8, or even any networking groups except for old OS. But any suggestions of other forums are appreciated.

An now.... on to the sob story....

Question about accessing other computers on small office network.....

I recently bought a PC with 8.1, got all the updates and then connected to the office Netgear router via wired ethernet. Not using wireless for this. No problem accessing from any computer to the other 3. Passwords were not set -- that is, when it asks for a password, we leave the pw field blank, hit 'enter' and it connected right away.

Then one day, I tried to access the older computers from the 8.1 and it would not accept a blank password. Then I entered the administrator pw and same problem. I suspect someone entered a password they thought was needed and it accept it as a new password -- but don't know. Nobody is admitting to it.

Anyway, I checked that nothing had been changed on the other 3 computers, and all connect fine to each other with no password needed as always.

So it sounds like the problem is with the new 8.1.

Sorry for long story.... I wanted to be sure all the info was out there for any helpful PC gurus.

My hunch is I should be able to reset the passwords in the 8.1 machine, but the 8.1 help menu is no help so far, and is extremely difficult for me to use. Struck out also searchiing online and at microsoft. com.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! (Suggestions like "smash the machine with a Pepsi bottle", or "run over it with your Chevy", are already on my list as defaults....)

Thanks in advance!

Snuffy

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

Correct.

I found that out not long ago. Any machine with a password can be accessed but a "blank" password is not acceptable.

It seems very odd to me that having no password seems to give stronger security.

Reply to
philo

What OS are the other computers running? In general, networks don't like to run without passwords. Put the same username and password on all your machines and the network should run seamlessly. I've never had any need to do otherwise, so can't offer any more advice.

There also may be some issues with workgroup vs homegroup.

There is an issue with getting access from older machines. I had to do this to my win7 machine to give access to a Dell Axim PDA

Open Registry Editor, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\

Create LMCompatibilityLevel (DWord) and set the value to 1

Reply to
mike

or 8, or even any networking groups except for old OS. But any suggestions of other forums are appreciated.

network.....

connected to the office Netgear router via wired ethernet. Not using wireless for this. No problem accessing from any computer to the other

  1. Passwords were not set -- that is, when it asks for a password, we leave the pw field blank, hit 'enter' and it connected right away.

it would not accept a blank password. Then I entered the administrator pw and same problem. I suspect someone entered a password they thought was needed and it accept it as a new password -- but don't know. Nobody is admitting to it.

computers, and all connect fine to each other with no password needed as always.

there for any helpful PC gurus.

machine, but the 8.1 help menu is no help so far, and is extremely difficult for me to use. Struck out also searchiing online and at microsoft. com.

machine with a Pepsi bottle", or "run over it with your Chevy", are already on my list as defaults....)

Win2000 on all others

I did and all 4 machines worked fine for a few days. Then the Win8.1 machine stopped accepting that PW. I don't know how that could have happened, but resetting the password I hope will do the trick -- if I can figure out how to do it.... The computer came from Frys Electronics with 8.1 on it and no back up DVD. I did buy the 2-3 yr warranty, so that may be the answer to this problem.

Thanks, and no offence, but no way I'm messing around with registries. I've done this before and it cane be a real time-waster if something goes wrong.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

To protect sensitive data, encryption should be used.

Reply to
philo

[...]

I never understood why all computers are not password-free and allow the user to set only those passwords that the user wants. If you have data you need to protect, put it on a portable drive and keep it in a safe. Jeez.... If you live with someone you can't trust, then passwording a computer is the least of your worries.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

the user to set only those passwords that the user wants. If you have data you need to protect, put it on a portable drive and keep it in a safe. Jeez.... If you live with someone you can't trust, then passwording a computer is the least of your worries.

Absolutely. Another way to eliminate unnecessary passwords. (Are you listening, Bill Gates? You're setting the stage for a low cost "functional" computer to clean your clock.)

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

I have loaded XP on 2 W/7 machines here because of this network password crap. I am running a hard wired network and I don't see a significant security issue if I don't have a password. XP has no problem talking to other XP machines, W/98 machines and my ReplayTV

Reply to
gfretwell

[...]

Sounds good. Will do this myself.

I hear a lot of these same kind of problems for Windows 7 & 8.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

Now I'm wondering -- what are the practical advantages of moving from XP to 7 or 8, if you're just doing home computing tasks, email and i-surfing.

One thing Microsoft is always saying is that the latest version is always more secure than the previous one. Newer websites often say they work "better" with later version browsers, etc. What does that mean to the average computer user?

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

Last off-topicing....

I have 2 other computers - one with Win 95, one with 98SE - that I use with some older programs that don't run on later OS's, or work but not as well.

Any simple way to use the same monitor with each of them without disconnecting cables each time?

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

One more for the road.....

How is the least painful way to get completely away from MS and still be able to swap common file formats with other folks?

What can MS do that Linux can't do?

Does Linux require the same downloads/upgrades and virus protection as MS?

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

Buy a KVM switch. They will manually switch the Keyboard, Video and Mouse with a button/switch. Most also respond to a keyboard sequence to switch.

Reply to
gfretwell

On Sunday, March 22, 2015 at 4:18:45 PM UTC-4, Snuffy Hub Cap McKinney wrot e:

or even any networking groups except for old OS. But any suggestions of other forums are appreciated.

o the office Netgear router via wired ethernet. Not using wireless for thi s. No problem accessing from any computer to the other 3. Passwords were not set -- that is, when it asks for a password, we leave the pw field bla nk, hit 'enter' and it connected right away.

ould not accept a blank password. Then I entered the administrator pw and same problem. I suspect someone entered a password they thought was needed and it accept it as a new password -- but don't know. Nobody is admitting to it.

and all connect fine to each other with no password needed as always.

or any helpful PC gurus.

ut the 8.1 help menu is no help so far, and is extremely difficult for me t o use. Struck out also searchiing online and at microsoft. com.

ine with a Pepsi bottle", or "run over it with your Chevy", are already on my list as defaults....)

I checked my Windows 8.1 for Dummies for solutions. One solution: If you have forgotten your password to your Microsoft account , open any we b browswer and visit

The site leads you through the steps to reset your password.

***

That is assuming you have access to a computer that you can use. It also d iscusses how passwords are case sensitive and you might have accidentally t yped in wrong case....Check to see if Caps Lock light is on. Press Caps Lo ck key again to turn it off. Then try entering your password again.

Haven't had this particular problem so I don't have any first hand experien ce.

Reply to
Dottie

Some Windows users think they have to use MSIE as their web browser. Newer versions of MSIE won't run on older Windows (XP is likited to MSIE

8, and Vista is limited to MSIE 9).

Of course, you could use Firefox instead. It's a better browser and current versions will work on XP. You can get it at

Mark Lloyd

KVM is a good idea. You do need to consider what connections your system uses:

video: VGA(D connector), DVI, or HDMI keyboard / mouse: PS2 or USB some switch audio too

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney posted for all of us...

When you have to deal with 700 kids ands and 200 teachers all who they know what they want and think they know more than you (some kids did). Like any other profession you scope of knowledge is limited.

Reply to
Tekkie®

use with some older programs that don't run on later OS's, or work but not as well.

disconnecting cables each time?

Perfect! Thanks.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

[...]

===

Thanks. I have the main MS password written in permanent marker all over the house. LOL! What I need to access the other computers via Netgear router. No computers have network access passworded and all except good old 8.1 can access each other as always. Whatever changed was inside the 8.1 future doorstop.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney