Netbook, back again

Having another attempt to get this netbook working on wi-fi.

It connects to the web if connected to the ethernet cable. I have been putting in the various codes / passwords for the router but then get this message.....

"It is asking for a network password needs to be 40bits or 104bits depending on your network configuration. This can be entered as a 5 or

13 ascii characters or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters".

The above does not relate to anything on the router label, I have tried all the numbers/passwords to no avail.

Anyone know what or where I get this?

Reply to
ss

Do you even understand how to log in to your router and check what the wifi password is set to? Or set a new one?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

sounds like the router is configured to use the ancient (horribly broken) WEP encryption, can you reconfigure the router to use WPA or WPA2 encryption?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Because it sure looks like your router is set up for WEP when it ought to be WPA2/PSK.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Without guidance I would answer no to reconfiguring.

Worth mentioning my PC and various laptops,ipads etc all work ok from the same wi-fi signal, it is just this one netbook that fails.

Reply to
ss

do you know the ip address of the router? when connected via wired ethernet, what is default gateway and//or dns server address, in a home that's 99% going to be the router ... point ypur web browser at that ip address e.g. http://192.168.1.254 does it ask you to login? do you know the admin username/password, not the wifi password?

worth mentioning that if your router is on WEP and you change it to WPA2 (a good thing) you'll have to re-enter the wifi password into all those other devices to get them to re-connect.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Unless there is something in the Netbook config forcing it to treat all connections as WEP ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I vaguely recall the previous thread.

Have you got any devices using WiFi with this router working *as I type* ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Remembering the previous thread, is the "dodgy" laptop the only device running WinXP?

Reply to
Andy Burns

What is the make and model of the router?

Reply to
GB

Give up. You are too stupid to own a netbook

Maybe your netbook is configured to try and use WEP? And the router supports both. Maybe your netbook can ONLY supprt WEP, in which case you need to slap a wifi dongle in it

But since we dont know

- what make the netbook is

- what operating system it is running

- what router it is trying to connect to

it is all mere speculation.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes several and all working, the netbook also worked ok until beginning of June turned on after a couple of months and not working.

Reply to
ss

No, most are but I also have a laptop rarely used that has xp and works ok.

Reply to
ss

Router:

Netbook is an Asus.

Reply to
ss

So that tells us it is able to handle TCPIP on the wired port. I can't remember if you set static entries for the Ethernet but if you didn't that would suggest DCHP was also working ok.

That worries me. There is (normally) only *one* right code and it shouldn't be a lottery. It is also case sensitive so you must follow that as well.

As others have said it suggests it thinks the router is using WEP and whilst that shouldn't be a problem re connection, it isn't an ideal solution in general.

See above.

What I would still like to hear is that you have booted that netbook from a Linux USB live image and that the wireless connects (or doesn't). [1]

A successful connection would prove two things. 1) You are using the right 'code' and 2) the hardware is compatible.

That's not to say that the Windows drivers were correct ... and I have had it where an automagically installed (WiFi in this case) driver doesn't work whereas the one from the WiFi card manufacturer does.

As an aside ... I have also replaced WiFi cards with devices that were 'Linux Compatible' (OOTB) as it was often easier than trying to get them working in Linux. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

p.s. How well did you get on connecting the Netbook to someone else's (friend / family / iNetCafe) router?

[1] It's only a few clicks to make a bootable Linux USB stick ...

1) Download this file:

2) Download and install this USB imaging software (others are available):
Open the link here and follow the steps:
Just make sure you have selected the right USB device before hitting Go! ;-)

Reboot the netbook with the USB stick plugged in and see if you get the option to boot from it with the popup boot options (F10 etc)?

If it boots, use the 'Try' (not install) option and once at the desktop, see if the networking icon shows any WiFi networks and if it does and it shows yours, can you connect to it.

Reply to
T i m
<snip>

A dual band Wireless cable router. ;-)

I also have a VM Hub and the first thing I did with it is put it into 'Modem Mode' and use my own router.

I think there are some things you can do re making it less fussy (as a WiFi router) but I can't remember what.

Cheers, T i m

p.s. If the netbook 'worked on that router before but doesn't now', it could be a firmware update to the router that has affected it:

"To be fair, Virgin's been working on that issue. In March 2019, the company announced a major firmware update to the Hub 3, including three new measures aimed at improving performance. These are automatic channel-switching, which tries to minimise wireless interference by switching away from congested radio frequencies; band steering, which shunts devices from the 2.4GHz band onto the faster 5GHz band wherever possible; and a new "airtime fairness" feature that prevents any individual device from monopolising the airwaves and slowing everything else down."

Reply to
T i m

A couple of points to add. The label says how to access the settings page. Type the "http.... " into the address bar of your browser.

Is the Asus netbook able to see the router on 5GHz? It may only have 2.4.

Reply to
GB

well you have scrubbed out the network password

If the netbook USED to work then either its capable of running WPA or the router used to run WEP as well.

Probanbly BT reconfigured the router so it doesn't, for security reasons.

'Netbook is an Asus' is about as informative as 'car is a Ford'

Why is this so hard?

Make and MODEL number.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Irrelevant.

What is clear is that te netbook is seeing the wifi and trying to connect using WEP which is insecure and not really recommended and may not in fact even work.

BT - I assume its a BT POS router - dont even put WEP network passwords on the router.

Only WPA2

Hmm. After googling some more it appears that POS is probebly right and BT routers seem to start to die and this is possibly a symptom

My guess is uts a home hub 3?

Id try asking BT for a newer one

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

All the occurrences of "VM" in the model name and SSID are a clue ...

Reply to
Andy Burns