Water softener and green seepage

Maybe I've misunderstood, Yorkshire fittings are soldered.

Anyway, plumbers seem to use plastic whenever they can.

Reply to
Graham.

Since having a water softener installed, some of the Yorkshire fittings***** have a green powdery leakage.

Clearly, the nuts on the fittings need to be nipped up again, but is the greenness indicative of a high rate of corrosion in the system due to the salt, or is it just a reaction to the air once it had seeped?

***** had previously fitted new taps myself; obviously a plumber would have done it with all soldered connections if only to make things difficult for amateur plumbers in the future?
Reply to
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downst

Perhaps I misunderstood, it being some years since doing any plumbing myself, but I thought the Yorkshire fittings were the ones I used, those with a crumpable olive and a big nut to compress it?

Reply to
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer

Water softeners do not introduce salt (NaCl) into the water pipework.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Oh yes they do!!

Or at least my last one did. They should rinse out any free salt, but if the timing is out or the device isn't plumbed in correctly salt can enter the users system.

I seem to recollect that there are variations of the reagant available if dialasys patients or people on low salt diets are end users of the water.

I like the term "crumpable olive" incidentally. One of those little gems that does sound so much more adequate than a mere "compressable" conveys.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

No, but what they do do over time is descale the pipes Allowing micro leaks

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, those are compression fittings.

AFAIK Yorkshire fittings are the ones with a ring of solder built in for people who can't end feed solder into the joint. {Holds hand up} Real plumbers just use the plain fittings because they are slightly cheaper.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Those are compression fittings:

Yorkshire fittings are a specific type of "capillary" solder fitting where there is a ring of solid solder built into the fitting during manufacture. So you can simply clean and flux the pipe, then just heat the fitting without the need to add solder manually.

They look like:

Similar to end feed:

John Rumm

"Yorkshire" is a trade name. They made compression fittings and solder ones. With and without solder.

Reply to
harry

They make all types.

harry

Indeed, its a brand... however If someone refers to a "yorkshire fitting" without further qualification, its a fairly safe bet they mean their famed solder ring fitting.

Reply to
John Rumm

They do, but generally people refer to solder ring fittings (from any manufacturer as "Yorkshire") and other fittings (even under the trade name "Yorkshire") as capilliary, compression, push-fit, etc.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker