Waterside MC250 water softener

We moved into a house with one of these installed. There were no instructions left for it.

Is it just a case of:

- making sure the relevant valves are open

- making sure there is enough salt in there

- turning it on...?

We tried this and it continually kicks out water down its waste pipe. Is this normal or is something wrong?

Thanks

Nick.

Reply to
NickW

Yes, usually there are three, one in, one out, and one bypass - the bypass valve is situated between the inlet and outlet, before the other valves - this should be OFF, the inlet and outlet should be on.

Yup

There are usually two waste pipes, one of them is an overflow, and one is a drain - the overflow should not pass any water in normal operation, however, if it has been played about with, it might do for the first cycle.

When you say constantly, how long did you leave it doing it? When it is regenerating, ion exchange water softeners throw out water, chucking out all the limescale.

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

Thanks, I hoped it was something like that. I didn't leave it on that long, maybe only a minute or probably less.

Another thing - it asks for the water hardness Clarke number. I guessed at 30 because I found something on the web for somewhere near here (Suffolk, IP6). Is this crucial? Should I ring the water company to find a more precise value?

Nick

Reply to
NickW

The hardness setting is so it can calculate how much salt it needs, so it is best to get it as accurate a possible, or you will either not be softening enough, or wasting salt!

You can buy some tester kits (not sure where though!) that will measure it if you can't get the details from the water co (Or want to check it!) my new softener came with one, but I have used it now!.

Looking online, it looks to be a meter based softener, so it will measure the water you use, and regenerate when needed (This is the better type!)

here are some details I found on

MC250 Ultra Water Softener £430.00 New improved MC250 Ultra, the most technically advanced Water Softener available in the UK.

- The only UK manufactured vavle

- Simple to install

- No complicaed controls to set up

- No clock setting

- Low salt level alarm

- Mini regeneration cycle

- High softened water capacity 1 to 8 people in one softener

- Automatic controls for maximum slt and water efficiency

- Supplied complete with all fittings for a professional installation

- Size (HxWxD) : 610 x 290 x 495mm

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

I have just found the following phone number on a website, you may be able to get a manual from them. WATERSIDE Telephone 01376 334200 (From

Sparks

Get a testing kit. I got mine for a couple of quid from B&Q. You take a sample of water and keep adding the supplied "pills" until it changes colour. Then, hopefully you counted the number of pills required and can look it up in a table.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Sounds like the valves are set to the wrong position, or it's in regen mode. First check the clock is set to the correct time of day. The factory setting regens at 2.00am. Also check that the timer is running! There are three water valves connected to the pipework, inlet, ie water in from the main, bypass, which allows the unit to be bypassed hence water does not flow through the softener, and outlet, water flows to the tanks etc. On the back of the unit, there are normally four connections. From L to R as viewed from the rear these are, Overflow( at a lower level than the other connections), Outlet connection, Drain connection( used during regen) and inlet connection. For normal operation, inlet valve is open, bypass is closed, outlet is open. I'd suggest you talk to Waterside nicely and ask them for the instruction leaflet. I have used one of their units for 20 years without any problems, but it's a mechanical timer unit.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Thanks for all the replies. I've tried running it on a setting of 25 degrees Clarke (I got this number from a neighbour). It shows "r0" on the display for a couple of minutes and water is continuously venting down the waste pipe.

However, it continues to vent water and the display changes to "E2" - which sounds like an error to me. I let this carry on for a further ten minutes with no change. I gave up and turned it off.

One clue - water vents down the waste pipe even when the unit is not switched on... a valve stuck open perhaps?

I've been trying all day to get through to their helpline but it's constantly engaged and ringback doesn't seem to work. Perhaps they have it off the hook!

Anyone know what this "E2" business is about?

Thanks

Nick

Reply to
NickW

Hi Nick

I have brought one of these softners, Error E2 was displayed and found the nylon cog on the motor was split and so although on power u the moter was running the cog stayed still and did not turn the gea assembly, I contacted culligan uk who now own waterside and got replacement motor which came with a new brass cog.

Error E2 now gone from the display and it all runs as it should.

But there still is problems as the machine is not softening the wate so maybe the resin is knackered, any advice on this would be great.

Richar

-- poopy13pets

Reply to
poopy13pets