British Gas Wireless Thermostat

Hey group, 1st post here.
Found this message that Peter (see below) posted back in 2001 and wanted to say a big thank you.
Not sure if you will see this Peter, but just like to say thanks very much for your post.
The batteries died on my wireless thermostat and there were no instructions or manuals from the previous owner of the property.
My system is labelled "British Gas WR1 Wireless System" which is the sensor by the boiler and the thermostat is labelled "British Gas RC1 Wireless System"
I came home last night at 00:30 and found the display had died and after spending 15mins working out how to replace the batteries l then spent till 2am browsing the web to find out how you get the two units to talk to one another. Random button pressing was not working!!!
My search proved in vain as l could not come up with any posts to do with RC1 or WR1. I went to bed with an extra duvet at that point.
At 7am this morning l just searched for "wireless system" AND "british gas" and your post came up.
Once again thanks it has been a life saver. Now l don't need to sit in a telephone queue to BG.
Ta, Nicholas
"From: Peter Conway - view profile Date: Thurs, Nov 22 2001 3:50 pm Email: snipped-for-privacy@smart421.com (Peter Conway) Groups: uk.d-i-y
Receiver is the wall mounting Wireless Display is the remote thermostat
1. Make sure both battery compartments are out on the 'Wireless Display' and the screen has gone blank, takes about 2 mins to fade 2. Check that the receiver red LED is on 3. Push 'overide' button on the receiver once green LED should come on also 4. Push button 1 followed by 2 and hold them both depressed together Red LED will flash for 2 secs then go out (learn mode) 5. Release both buttons Red and Green LED should now both be on 6. Take the wireless display and hold it within sight of the receiver but more than one metre away 7. Push in the right hand drawer, then the left (it must be done in this order) The red LED on the receiver will flash for 7 secs and then go out. The green LED will remain on or off depending on the room temperature
If the red LED reamins on you need to repeat all of the above If it is still on something is wired incorrectly or broken
good luck!"

Not exactly intuitive, is it?!
Anyone know who made/makes this kit - it's unlikely to be BG themselves. Is it re-badged Honeywell, or something?
--
Cheers,
Roger

<SNIP>
It's almost certainly a rebadged Drayton Digistat
Rob

Dependent on the type, it will be a Drayton RF1, 2, or 3.
Regards
Steve
You'd think they would make it slightly easier for us peeps.
Nice and toasty now tho

Based on what others have said, what you have is probably a re-badged Drayton unit. It may be worth trying to get a user manual for future reference. I think that Drayton is now part of Invensys.
--
Cheers,
Roger
replying to g00ner, Ruth wrote:

My remote doesn't seem to have any 'drawers.'
Ruth wrote
replying to a 14 year old post - WTF

You need to sort that soon, winter drawers on and all that.
replying to g00ner, Maggie wrote: Like Nick, I found this post from Peter very helpful but unfortunately I haven't been able to fix our very similar problem. We got back from holiday last night to find that although the boiler was apparently working and fired up when the hot water was turned on, the central heating wasn't working. We'd had the problem about a year ago & called an engineer out so I knew that the problem was to do with the communication between the receiver and the room thermostat. We tried several times to fix it using the instructions (exactly as Peter describes below) but there seems to be a problem with the receiver itself. We don't get either a red or green light. I've seen in posts on other sites that this WR1 Receiver Unit is not particularly reliable so are wondering whether we need to replace it even though the system is less than 6 years old. Does anybody know whether these units are easy to buy and/or install? If we really must call out British Gas we might as well do it sooner rather than later, but would prefer a cheaper solution if possible. Maggie > nick wrote:

On Friday, 9 October 2015 15:44:04 UTC+1, Maggie wrote:

Fit a proper thermostat, one that will keep working. And if you can't diy, have anyone but BG do it.
NT

It does sound like a shitty bit of design, forgetting its pairing when the batteries go flat!
My experience of battery powered Z Wave devices is once paired, they stay paired.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I was looking at a BG display whilst shopping recently. One of those manning the stand engaged me in conversation.
After singing the praises of their "Hive" controller, she added that it had a "lifetime guarantee". "Whose lifetime?" I asked, "Oh, the controller." She did have the grace to look sheepish when I pointed out that this wasn't really claiming much - it lasts till it fails.
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk
replying to g00ner, Carl wrote:

Our remote was also out of battery and needed resetting. All fine now. Very helpful thanks :) Carl
replying to g00ner, Laura wrote: You have no idea how much this has helped and how long it too me to search!! Thank you both so much :D
replying to g00ner, louise fox wrote: I used these instructions as my wireless display and receiver "were not talking to each other" and the red light would not go out. I also switched the plug to the receiver off for ten seconds. One or the other I know have programmed heating back and the pressure doesn't keep going up!
Hmm you mean to say since 2001 and 2006, there has been no real update to these wireless thermostats. Blimey. Brian
--
----- -