Pushing Water Uphill !

My wife (God Bless her) wants me to move the washing machine into the outhouse. Well that's fine - I had nothing planned for the month ! I have power and can easily get water supply BUT the outhouse is lower than the main drain cover (although not lower than the take away from the drain). Is it possible to push the waste water uphill so I can branch into an existing waste drain ?? Or is there some clever workaround ?? Suggestions gratefully received.

Reply to
Digby

I suppose you could use a Saniflow / Macerator type device such as

're designed to work with toilets, but I see no reason why they wouldn't work with washing machine waste.

Reply to
Set Square

|Raise the washer higher off the ground?

Steve

Reply to
r.p.mcmurphy

Washing machine outlet hoses need to be brought up to just below the top of the washing machine anyway - they don't just drain along the floor. These outlets are pumped, so as long as the height difference is less than (say) 24in you should be fine.

However make sure that if the outlet pipe to the outside drain were to get restricted that you don't end up with water all over the floor of the outhouse. That could potentially be dangerous as you would have electrical equipment sitting in a pool of water.....

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew McKay

The washing machine will lift the water a good 3 or 4 foot how much more do you need?

Reply to
Dave Jones

I think Grundfos do a pump type device for drains, similar to a macerator but without the turd shredder. A tank, pump, float switch & relay could be rigged up by someone competent.would

Reply to
Aidan

floor.

That's a good thought but my macine will be about 20 feet from the nearest point I can connect to the sewer - doesn't this imply that I will constantly have grey water lying in this pipe work ? How should I protect against flowback into the outhouse?

  • and thanks for your helpful replies ; )
Reply to
Digby

3-4 feet, in 20 feet is more than you'd want the slope to be, to keep the water flowing, I think it's 1:20 is the recommended slope.
Reply to
Ian Stirling

You really need to raise the level as close to the washing machine as possible. Is it out of the question to run a 32mm or 40mm waste pipe from next to the washing machine to the point at which it drops into the main waste?

If not, raise the waste pipe close to the washing machine and then run from there to the waste at an elevated height.

Do not be tempted to run the waste at floor level all the way across. It wouldn't be a great idea - if winter caused the pipe to freeze then you are asking for trouble.

That's what we are here for.

Well, some of us are anyway. There's at least one person who appears like a jack in the box to provide entertainment value. Hysterically he tends to get involved in providing advice on comb boilers and similar so this thread may have escaped his attention.....

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew McKay

It has to be a dirty water drain btw, can't put it into a clean wate

drain.

What is the distance to the drain, what is the height you need t overcome?

As someone said raise the machine, if the height is fairly small, an run the pipe along a garden wall or fence.

Yes the washing machine will do the pumping up hill itself, however, i is designed to pump straight up e.g. a 3- 4 ft length of pipe, If th distance of travel is say 6 metres then you're talking about 6m o water to push, you can have a go but it might put a strain on the pump Also consider that when the machine is empty all the water in tha length of 6m pipe will flow back into the machine.

You could plumb it in as normal and have the waste flow into a external tank, this you can then use a bucket to take the water to th drain. Or if you use an eco friendly washing powder/liquid lik 'Ecover' you can use the water for the garden

-- wig

Reply to
wig

Make sure there is an air vent to stop any back siphoning into the machine when the pump stops. Add a rodding eye at the high end of the pipe run to the drain just in case. Make sure that the outhouse does not freeze. There is always a little water left in the machine and this and the solenoid valves can freeze up.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I think saniflow do one too.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Do I take it this particular gentleman is somewhat hirsute and requires to clean his appearance adjusting equipment regularly !

Rob

Reply to
Rob Graham

I don't think I mentioned the term "gentleman" in my previous responses. If I did I regret that it was a slip of the tongue.

He would have had a full time career a few hundred years ago, as a court jester. However he probably wouldn't have lasted long - back then if you didn't conjure up the goods for the master then you were often slain to make way for another clown prince.

Sadly this one keeps coming back like a bad smell, albeit under different pseudonyms.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew McKay

Flygt might also -- they're into sewage, but possibly only on a bigger scale.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Aidan used his keyboard to write :

Why mess about? If you are putting a pump in a tank, then it would be simpler to just buy an automatic submersible pump, better known as a sump pump. You can get quite small sump pumps.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Digby was thinking very hard :

It sounds like you could just simply allow gravity to work, as that is more than enough slope for the distance. Just run the pipe at a steady fall down to the drain.

I don't know if this is permitted, but an overflow pipe could be installed which is at a slightly lower level than the level at which it would overflow back into your outhouse.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

raise the washing machine

Reply to
Alex

When sinking a well many years ago the contractor said that getting the water up was the problem. Once it was up, pushing/sucking it along the pipe was easy. (The well was 1/4 mile from the house)

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

Lets cover the things to not do first:

  1. dont pump it uphill all the way, as it will all run back into the machine every time. Drain pipes are kinda stinky.

  1. dont use a saniflo!!

Now the DO:

  1. Run the drain downhill at the usual slope all the way to the drain.

  1. Run the washer outlet hose up to the open end of this drain pipe. Use the standard kit, preferably ensuring the connection is not airtight.

  2. If the outlet hose has to go further up than the machine pump can handle, add another washing machine pump in plumbing series and electrical parallel with the existing machine pump.

  1. If the machine needs to pump up a huge distance, and even this is inadequate, use a purpose made foul water pump, again run off the wahser pump connections. Do not use an unsanitaryflow.

There is also a last option: if the machine is a long way from the house foundations, and you use only enviro friendly detergents, you could drain into a soakaway dug in the ground next to your outhouse, or possibly even use it to water the garden.

NT

Reply to
bigcat