sand is destroying my hot water heater and washing machine

my home destroyed in supper storm sandy after spending a lot of money to get it rebuilt I'm having an issue with sand coming in the clean water pipes all my pipes are new and I had to sink in a water pit outside the home Had two plumbers in to try to find out how the sand is getting into the clean water pipes they have no clue as there are no leaks called the city and they said it not at there end this has destroyed a new on demand hot water heater and a brand new washer worried about the affects of drinking water cleaning and cooking with the water we use bottle water for these thing s worried the cost of paying for permits and digging up the street and redoing pipes who can I turn to for advice

HAS anyone had this problem

Reply to
want safe water

Hi, If I were you, in the mean time until solution is found, I'd install whole house sediment filter.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Never heard of such a problem. Are you sure it is sand and not rust or other contamination from the city pipes?

First thing I'd do is install a whole house filter. Nothing will be getting destroyed then.

Next, I'd have the water tested. This can be done free or cheap at a lot of water treatment sellers. You want to be sure it is nothing with any danger getting into the pipes. With a filter, you will have a collection of the residue for analysis if you don't have it already.

I don't know what the water pit is you are talking about. It is a place for solids to settle out?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The suggestions to put in a whole house filter are good.

However the problem indeed is on the city's end so you need to talk to a supervisor and do not give up until the problem is fixed.

Reply to
philo

IDK what the poster means by a water pit either...

I wonder what the town water folks tested, looked at and actually said? Did they even come out? I would think first thing would be to open nearby fire hydrants, sample what comes out there. Do neighbors have any problem? What happened to the house during Sandy? Was it flooded and damaged to the extent that sand could have gotten into the system inside the house and some still be in there?

Very little to go on.

Reply to
trader_4

Another repost from years ago. By now the sand probably consumed the house and maybe the owner too !!! :)

Just look at the poster name. It ends in @example.com

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

Who heats hot water, anyway? It's already hot.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

this is not a repost from years ago spent time with three different Plumbers they cant figure out were its coming from went in person got a map of were my pipes come in from city line the city says its not on there end now I have another inspector coming in today . I have an on demand hot water heater which I love but is destroyed a washer machine that is lest them a year old and plenty of repair bills and still have sand going to write to a congress man the sand is in my drinking water I wonder what if any health issues will be I only use bottle water All I can say i'm going to keep looking into this and Thank you Mr. Mayor and build it back for no help from Supper Storm Sandy

Reply to
want safe water

Its an on Demand hot water heater which I love it has been destroyed by the sand ,sand is now in the fresh water line and every one doesn't understand where its coming from the city says its not on there lines have to flush out line Cost $1,000.00 and then put in a filter another cost which has to be replaced every six months which once again the have to dig to change the filter. I had three plumbers in and now have to dig up yard and have them look for a pin hole in the pip line cant drink or cook with the water we use bottle water for everything

Reply to
want safe water

its really sand have been collecting sand and water from different faucets going to have a filter put in looking into a place to test the water the pit is for the water meter during supper storm sandy I had four feet of sewage &water destroyed my home. the water meter could not be put back inside the house had to hire and pay $3,500 to have a pit put in the yard were the meter is installed this is were clean water is supposed to come in from the city, not able to live in over a year trying to rebuild using any funds that I had.

Reply to
want safe water

its a pit in ground that they install the water meter in. this is in Brooklyn NY. was at water dep. getting maps to show were the pipes come in . went and spoke a service rep. had to call 311 to get another appointment for the to come out again they say its nothing on their end I have another plumber conning today to put a filter.

The house had four feet of sewage and water we live in Zone B call 311 all day they said we didn't have to leave we wouldn't have and problems we lost all elect at 12 noon we were out a year lost all living space been rebuilding as we can afford it had pipes blown out a year ago their are at least three home on my street that still no one can live in out of 2500 family there must been at least 200 or more home that no one can live in the fire Hydrant is 1/2 a block away they said they are hoping to flush it . just had the sewer drains cleaned today it took the 3weeks to do this. next step contact the congressman as maybe someone will give me a way to stop this worried about the drinking water as we don't use it for drinking or cooking anymore worried about health issues. I had to call in the gas company last year to replace the meter that took a long time(4months ) as they said it was fine, but it was under and was rusted from the salt water and when they did come out. I was told that we didn't know that it was this bad every time I called then they said that my home was not on there list

Reply to
want safe water

If you open a spigot, whatever you have, that's as close as possible to where the water comes into the house and fill a 5 gallon bucket, then let it settle, is there sand in that? If there is sand there, my next focus would be on testing at fire hydrants on either side of your house. Has the water company done that? What about the neighbors? Any sand there? If the sand is only in your house, then it would seem most likely that the problem is with the pipe between your house and the water main. It could be totally unrelated to Sandy. What kind of pipe? If it's a 75 year old house, could be steel pipe and it's shot by now.

The odd thing I guess is that sand is coming in. IDK if that's typical or not. I have seen it happen with pool pumps when there is a crack in an underground line. But there the pump cycles on and off and I would guess that the sand migrates in when the pump is off. With constant city water pressure, water would go out, but I would think it would take a good size hole for sand to be able to come in. At some point, if the leak is large enough, you'd probably see water in the yard.

Really your best source for this would probably be the water dept folks. They must have lots of experience there. Besides saying it's not their problem, what exactly do they say? And on what basis are they saying it's not their problem? Did they come out, draw test water at hydrants either side of your house?

Reply to
trader_4

On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 18:44:02 +0000, want safe water wrote in

What is Zone B?

Reply to
CRNG

Apparently it's the flood zone:

More interesting is this:

"The house had four feet of sewage and water we live in Zone B call 311 all day they said we didn't have to leave we wouldn't have and problems we lost all elect at 12 noon:"

Sandy arrived with plenty of warning as to the severity and potential for problems, NY/NJ coast was prime target. I don't see why anyone needs to call 311 all day long, tying up lines, draining resources. What are they supposed to do, stop the hurricane? And given that Zone B is moderate risk of flooding for any hurricane, it seems rather odd that whoever is on the other end of 311 would tell people that you wouldn't have any problems. I could see them telling you something like if you haven't left

*already*, then you're probably better off staying there.
Reply to
trader_4

I would put a riser and faucet right after the meter and see if sand comes out of that. I don't see how you could have a leak letting sand IN that doesn't also let water OUT. What happens if you use no water for 24 or 48 hours (rent a hotel room) as far as whether the meter shows ZERO water use?

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

If sand is getting into the pipe now (as opposed to simply being in there from some past event) then there is a low pressure problem somewhere.

If there is a low pressure problem, you are sucking a lot of stuff much nastier than sand into your drinking water.

This is a cross-connection emergency.

Reply to
TimR