Sock in washing machine water pump!

I'm just curious if anyone else has seen this problem before. Today we were doing the wash and the Kenmore direct-drive washer started buzzing when it should have been moving the agitator. After taking off the cabinet and removing the motor and pump, I noticed that a baby sock had gotten clogged inside the water pump impeller. I looked inside the metal basket and the holes just seem way to small for a sock (even a baby sock) to get through. Has anyone ever seen this problem before? I'm glad it is fixed, but now I don't know how careful I should be with other small clothing items. Thanks in advance for your input.

Reply to
centaur99

I can't answer your question but I use a net lingerie bag for all those small items or anything delicate I don't want beating itself to death in the Kenmore.

Reply to
Mari

snipped-for-privacy@net.ac =D4=C7=D1=DF =C8=DC:

Reply to
chegue1469

yeah happended to me, destroyed the pump, big expensive hassle.

a lingerie bag is a excellent solution

Reply to
hallerb

I noticed that a baby

It went over the side, not through the holes... Mark

Reply to
Mark

Most likely during the loading not when the wash was on. MLD

Reply to
MLD

Yep. Overloading the machine, or loading stuff in after the water has filled the tub, can cause items to walk over the top of the tub.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Re: Sock in washing machine water pump! Group: alt.home.repair Date: Mon, Apr 23, 2007, 5:51am (EDT-3) From: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com I'm adding your story to my long list of reasons not to have kids.

LOL... And the least of those is a 'sock in the pump'...

Reply to
Charles Pisano

Re: Sock in washing machine water pump! Group: alt.home.repair Date: Mon, Apr 23, 2007, 5:51am (EDT-3) From: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com I'm adding your story to my long list of reasons not to have kids.

LOL... And the least of those is a 'sock in the pump'...

Reply to
Charles Pisano

Thanks for all the input everyone! I inspected the tub a little more carefully tonight, and there does appear to be a seam at the top through which a sock could have escaped into the outer tub and down into the pump. Lesson learned.

Reply to
Greg

yeah I never have socks on top.....

since I made this change I havent had a problem, but DONT overload either, a too full tub makes it more likely

Reply to
hallerb

The rubber swan is mine. 1963

Reply to