SMART Socket

I purchased a SMART socket

All I need is App to switch on & off ..... no Alexa currently - maybe in future.

I failed to be able to get it to be detected .... SMART Life app on Android Phone ...... even set Wifi to be fixed on 2.4Ghz still not detected.

Seller sent me a replacement - exactly the same. Tried Auto detect and manual configure - no difference.

Unsure if it's a BT WifFi issue (though all other WiFi devices connect fine) or APP or physical hardware of switch.

Anybody care to recommend a SMART 2 gang socket that does set up easily, and can be operated via a phone.

Reply to
rick

need to be IP65 or better

Reply to
rick

The problem most people seem to have is the 5GHz WiFi some how preventing the device being detected. I say ‘somehow’ as, even though I run both 2.4 and 5GHz Wi-Fi, I’ve never had a problem, although I have sometimes needed to use the ‘manual’ mode.

The way recommended to stop the 5G Wi-Fi causing a problem, is to turn it off while setting up the device. As I assume you know, this is done via the BT router admin page. Once the device is up and running etc, you can turn the 5G back on.

I’ve not explored this but I assume it works by forcing the phone to use

2.4G rather than being on 5G where it can’t detect the device until it is set up and can use the 2.4 / 5 G ‘link’ in the router.
Reply to
Brian

I've not had the problem, but I do recall hearing of BT routers that don't let traffic between 2.4 and 5GHz devices, specifically "smart" devices.

Reply to
Andy Burns

No experience with that product but I presume you’ve tried resetting it and putting it into “pairing mode”?

Once you’ve done that you need to then connect your phone to the smart switch’s own Wi-Fi.

Then you need to use the app or web interface (if available) to give the smart switch your domestic wifi SSID/password (and save settings).

If you’ve done all that and it’s not connecting, I’m stumped. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

One last thing, you may have to be physically quite close to the smart switch (if not emotionally) to pick up its local Wi-Fi signal.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I have for now set Hub to 2.4Ghz only ..... made no difference ... 'no device detected' both automatic and manual ... no joy

Reply to
rick

First off set BT Hub to 2.4GHz only

The setup instructions make it easy steps ...

Install App form QR code.

Open up App click on 'Add device' By default uses automatic set up Press pairing button until it flashes - done that The phone should make WiFi connection to device - no device found

Opt B

Open up App click on 'Add device' Press 'manual setup' Press pairing button until it flashes - done that It then asks to select WiFi network .... and Hub password - done that Again no device found

Reply to
rick

I'm doing this on my desk .... Hub is less than 2m away

Reply to
rick

I presume you’ve actually looked at the available Wi-Fi networks on your phone when it’s pairing rather than just automatically expecting your phone to pair? It won’t pair automatically with a new network whilst it’s currently connected to your existing one.

(I realise that you probably *have* done this but just checking for completeness).

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I have got to agree with Tim. I have BG smart sockets about the house and most of them have connected to WiFi in situ. Occasionally one will not connect and the answer is to connect it to a plug lead and plug it in near the router and this usually solves the problem. Once connected you can power down the socket and reconnect where it is intended.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

You could check on your router to see if the device ever manages to register on the wifi.

Also, it's worth doing the 'unpair' or 'factory reset' procedure on the device. For example, if somebody bought it and returned it, maybe it still has their wifi details inside?

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Just to be absolutely clear, you’re selecting the smart switch’s Wi-Fi network, not your hub’s?

If you’re connected to the smart switch to give it your Wi-Fi network then it has been found by your phone.

Who/what is declaring “no device found”.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

OK tried all options but unable to get it to be discovered by my phone. Out of desperation I installed the App on my iPad and a manual connection worked. I don't really want to use my iPad ... but it seems to prove at least the thing does work.

Now an Hr after giving up ..... I noticed my Phone now showed the operation screen (2 sockets) and it works ..... Figure that one out

Assume iPad somehow facilitated connection to Hub .... and once it was connected phone App could see discovered devices

Reply to
rick

When you are using the ‘manual mode’ the phone needs to be very close to the device.

Reply to
Brian

Dunnow, but certainly I'll never touch a tp link one again, Needs two apps and a lady A and then suffered from amnesia. This was an inside one and bought an Amazon after a refund and it was ready to go they even put it on my account for me. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That is daft, the 5g system has been around for years now and I have devices on both and they seem to be quite happy communicating though the router. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

less than 6" away

Reply to
rick

Less than 6" away

Reply to
rick

Yes as I have to put in the BT Hub password

Reply to
rick