HELP - SMART socket

Set up a SMART socket .... tested it. (Powered off a temporary lead) Took it to the desired location in the garden. App (SmartLife) worked from the house and could turn socket on & off, so confirmed WiFi range. (set to 2.4GHz)

Today physically fixed & wired in the final position. The manual buttons working ..... but on App it shows 'Device Offline'

Do I have to go right through the pairing procedure again ?

Will this happen every time power goes off ?

All of the device information is still there under details .... main device icon states 'offline'

My first try with SMART devices - not going well.

It's one of these -

rick

You shouldn’t need to pair it again. Some of my smart devices go intermittently offline only to work again later. Sometimes they they can’t be contacted via the app but can via the web interface! No idea why this should be…

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Is there 2.4GHz signal at the location in the garden?

(bearing in mind the socket is inside an enclosure that likely doesn't assist with radio propagation)

Theo

Reply to
Theo

That means it doesn't have adequate contact with your wifi. Turn the supply to the switch off, then back on, and it may regain contact, if not move it closer to the wifi and try the same again.

Long term, you may need to move the wifi access point to a better location, or fit a repeater midway.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

I bet it is still working if you move it closer.

The signal needs to be pretty good all the time I find. If its the normal module you should not need to set it up again, as they are not storing anything inside, though some may store the IP address they used last, Even if I disconnect everything, when plugged back in they all work within about

5 minutes when they sort themselves out. Obviously I cannot comment on other manufacturers devices. Most of the Amazon ones seem to be connecting at 5Ghz but can connect at The lower frequency according to Amazon. Could it be more screened or closer to the ground or something where it now is? Digital can be a pain as there is no indication of edge of range until it just stops working of course. Brian
Reply to
Brian Gaff

So nothing to 'kick into life' just detect when it can connect to Wifi?

I'm thinking on adding a BT WifI Disc (BT Total WiFi deal)

Reply to
rick

Well assume so as I tested in that location and could control via App. Had to 'unwire' to put into Physical position. Not come back up on App since.

Reply to
rick

Can't move closer to WiFi socket position is fixed, that was why I tried it first and App could switch light on/off OK

Reply to
rick

I will try a BT Disc .... WiFi extender Socket only connects with 2.4GHz so had to disable 5Ghz

What Amazon ones did you use ?

Reply to
rick

Update ..

OK ,,,, 2 steps I added a BT WiFi disc pointing it towards socket (25m away) still nothing. Checked ... good Wifi strength at location. Did add socket again in the App and its now working ...... I'll leave it set up for a couple of days and monitor if it stays connected in the App.

Maybe it can only hold its pairing details for a short while and its not in proper non-volatile memory.

Reply to
rick

You may well be right. I have a smart plug-in adapter, and that does seem to work fine after being unplugged. Your device is different, as it is normally powered 24/7.

Reply to
GB

I would expect them to be the same. Power supply interruption isn’t exactly rare and you shouldn’t have to re-pair devices every time you have a power cut or do any diy electrical work that requires turning the power off.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Your router allocates and stores the last used IP it was used on, for some hours. How long, can be configured in the router.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Totally agree, in principle, but people are very price conscious, so manufacturers shave a few pence off where they can.

Reply to
GB

Does it have small internal battery to store network details which needs power on for a while to charge up ? When you tested it may only have charged up enough to provide power for a short off period. Bit like Sony digital radio alarms - they will loose their settings if switched off for a longish period.

Reply to
Robert

The best suppliers don't when that means you have to repair after a mains failure.

Reply to
farter

Pretty well all microcontrollers have some EEPROM included, so remembering a few basic configuration items shouldn't be a problem.

Reply to
SteveW

Clocks often use dedicated clock chips, but most Smart devices are likely to use microcontrollers (chips containing microprocessors, RAM, EEPROM and I/O) and should be able to store their setup in the non-volatile EEPROM.

As it happens, my alarm clock uses a microcontroler instead of a dedicated clock chip and can store alarms and setup in EEPROM. It also sets itself from a radio signal. The combination of the two means that it does not need a backup battery.

Reply to
SteveW

Everything on my network (other than the home sewrver) is allocated an IP address via DHCP and my home server rather than my router (but either will do) is set to allocate specific IP adresses to specific MAC addresses. Time is therefore immaterial, as one MAC address translates to one IP address.

Reply to
SteveW

When its paired there is green LED on There was no LED and repairing fixed thing .... so assume a week with no power resulted in loss of config. Only an assumption though.

Reply to
rick