Installing Shaver Socket

I want to install a shaver socket in the bathroom, however the most convenient point to connect it to is the kitchen ring main which has several sockets In the wall directly behind the proposed position of the shaver socket. Is this permissible?

richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

You could always used a fused connection unit.

10+ years ago, I asked MK if their isolating shaver socket could be connected directly to a 16A circuit and they said that was OK. You could check with the manufacturer if they are OK to connect to a 32A circuit, but this is much less likely.

If it's not an isolating socket (which has inherent current limiting built in), then you must use a fuse in the supply. The 14th Ed regs required a 3A fuse, but the rating of this fuse isn't specified in the current regs anymore.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks Andrew,

I am proposing to connect it an existing FCU in the wall behind which does not seem connected to anything. It is more to do with the practice of putti ng kitchens on their own ring main like we have. Is it practice or required and does it mean that things outside the kitchen/utility area are allowed or not?

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Any idea why the MK isolating one states "This product is not suitable for rechargeable toothbrushes"?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I am proposing to connect it an existing FCU in the wall behind which does not seem connected to anything. It is more to do with the practice of putting kitchens on their own ring main like we have. Is it practice or required and does it mean that things outside the kitchen/utility area are allowed or not?

You can supply the shaver socket from a FCU in the kitchen.

This is a new electrical circuit into a bathroom and MUST have RCD protection. This new circuit will also need supplementary bonding to the other electrical circuits in the bathroom unless ALL the electrical circuits in the bathroom already have RCD protection.

Reply to
ARW

Andy

I have looked at the installation notes for the isolating shaver supply and have not come across such a restriction?

Andrew & Adam thanks for your useful advice.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

It's in the PDF.

They seem to do one in the "Edge" range that is toothbrush-compatible, but not the "Logic Plus" range, seems it's down to not having continuous use rating.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Strange the information is not repeated in the installation notes which are left with the user presumably for guidance. Incidentally, I could not find installation notes for the Logic Plus version but the Albany plus and Edge types have the same installation notes which also state these are the same for the Logic Plus version. You would imagine the functional parts are all the same with just the front plates varying?

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Sorry, I misread your bathroom as bedroom. You have to use an isolating transformer version in a bathroom.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The transformer regulation isn't good, and at very low current draw, the output is well above normal mains voltage. Chargers have very low current draw, and a "toothbrush" is not necessarily designed to be run from such a "shavers only" socket (whereas shaver chargers are). Plug it in the 120V side if it will go in, and is rated to run on 120V. Also, the transformer will probably waste 1-2W all the time something is plugged in (the shutter on the socket also switches the transformer primary), which is probably more than the charger will draw most of the time.

This is not specific to the MK one - applies to all isolating transformer shaver sockets.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Blimey! I have been using a Legrand shaver socket (with transformer) for many years (1988) with toothbrushes and shavers. I take the point about the shutter switch. If I listen carefully I can hear the hum. How does "above normal mains voltage" happen?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Blimey! I have been using a Legrand shaver socket (with transformer) for many years (1988) with toothbrushes and shavers. I take the point about the shutter switch. If I listen carefully I can hear the hum. How does "above normal mains voltage" happen?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Only if you have a 120V toothbrush, why would you?

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Most houses have RCD at the consumer unit. If not you're not making things any worse than they already are.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Sure about that?

Reply to
ARW

Yip. Mine is an exception, it hasn't been rewired since it was built in 1979. And like I said before you snipped it, you're not making things worse if you don't add one.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Just tried mine, a German made one intergrated into a striplight

transformer output off load 240v raw mains 245v (it hadly ever varies CBA measuring it on load but I would guess 230-235 ish

Why can't they all be designed to output on the low side?

Reply to
Graham.

I have an RCD in the consumer unit

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Inherent poor regulation of the small transformer.

I doubt if many appliances will actually be hurt, and I imagine they are designed to cope with the over voltage even if the highest figure can't be

Reply to
Graham.

Reply to
Graham.