Socket about to disappear behind wardrobe, what solutions?

Hi I'm assembling a large wardrobe which will hide a 13 Amp wall socket. I will plug in an extension cable, but will be embarrassed if the fuse ever blows. Ideas please

-- zzapper Best of VimTips

zzapper

Work out where the socket will be in relation to the back panel of the wardrobe, and cut a hole in it large enough to get your hand through.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I was going to say that!

BTDTGTTS.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Since I've never blown an extension cable fuse, I wouldn't worry about it. I'd probably swear a bit if it blew, then move the thing.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Wire a single unfused extension from the socket to a new socket that's not behind the wardrobe?

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

If the drobe is movable I wouldnt worry too much. A hole is good if its not a real quality item. If its a fitted job, nothing you do with the socket will make it conform, as it contains screw connections. Other than removing and crimping or soldering.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I had a double 13a socket tucked away behind a built-in wardrobe and left it there on the grounds that I had enough other sockets in the bedroom, and it'll never go wrong just leaving the socket there.......

Wrong!

Doing some rewiring, and I guess the cables down the wall got disturbed somehow or other, anyway, finished up with a fault in the wiring to the socket. Eventually found after spending a happy hour or two trying to break up the ring, and then hearing a 'pop' from behind the wardrobe. Problem was solved by cutting the legs of the ring in the loft and fitting a jb to cut the socket out of the ring.

Reply to
The Wanderer