How to glue/jam a loose barrel nut (screwed into wood)?

Hi, I'm assembling a bed. The main fixing is done by a bolt which screws into a barrel nut in each corner.

The barrel nut arrives preassembled and is "screwed" into the wood.

Because I may have cross threaded one of the bolts when tightening I have managed to turn the barrel nut such that it has turned and "lathed" the wood that was holding it.

Someone suggested Aralditing it back into place.

Suggestions/Experience

-- zzapper Best of VimTips

zzapper

Does it look like this?

The Medway Handyman

car body filler is much cheaper.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

|!On 7 May, 18:01, zzapper wrote: |! |!> Hi, |!> I'm assembling a bed. The main fixing is done by a bolt which screws |!> into a barrel nut in each corner. |!>

|!> The barrel nut arrives preassembled and is "screwed" into the wood. |!>

|!> Because I may have cross threaded one of the bolts when tightening I |!> have managed to turn the barrel nut such that it has turned and |!> "lathed" the wood that was holding it.

Tap out the nut to make sure it is still OK. Cross threading b*gg*rs nuts

|!> Someone suggested Aralditing it back into place. |!>

|!> Suggestions/Experience |! |!car body filler is much cheaper.

Make sure you do not get araldite/filler in the thread.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Car Body Filler!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yep that's the critter

Reply to
zzapper

Yep That's a problem it's such a small item, i'd need to grease the inner thread while the outer was kept clean

-- zzapper Best of VimTips

zzapper

Dave Yes that's it (this msg may appear twice sorry)

Reply to
zzapper

Does the bolt go through the wood and then into the fitting? Or straight into the fitting? In other words will doing up the bolt pull it further into the wood or out of it?

If the former glue will do it.

Stick an allen key in the end to prevent glue getting on the thread.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman