How to troubleshoot what would make a garbage disposal leak out the bottom?

I have a friend who just called me asking for help with her garbage disposal leaking out the bottom.

I have never dealt with them, but, I asked her to read the label and she said it was an "Emerson Evergrind E202 1/2 HP" unit.

She said it's leaking out the bottom, even when not in use (but when water is in the sink).

I'll see if I can stop by her house tomorrow - but - so that I'm armed with some knowledge, have you any idea what to look for?

PS: This is the same sink that I had put the Fernco on a year or so ago, but that's the *other* sink in her side-by-side sinks (the left sink main drain has the fernco, and, it's apparently water tight - while the right one has the garbage disposal which is apparently now leaking).

Any idea how to troubleshoot what would make a garbage disposal leak out the bottom?

Reply to
Danny D.

I have a friend who just called me asking for help with her garbage disposal leaking out the bottom.

I have never dealt with them, but, I asked her to read the label and she said it was an "Emerson Evergrind E202 1/2 HP" unit.

She said it's leaking out the bottom, even when not in use (but when water is in the sink).

I'll see if I can stop by her house tomorrow - but - so that I'm armed with some knowledge, have you any idea what to look for?

PS: This is the same sink that I had put the Fernco on a year or so ago, but that's the *other* sink in her side-by-side sinks (the left sink main drain has the fernco, and, it's apparently water tight - while the right one has the garbage disposal which is apparently now leaking).

Any idea how to troubleshoot what would make a garbage disposal leak out the bottom?

The seal under the disk with the (grinder) ears is bad. Therefore the water has also gone through the upper and lower motor bearings. Time to toss it. WW

Reply to
WW

Make sure it's leaking out the bottom, and not from the outlet for the water that goes to the drain. That water might run down the side of the disposal and make it look like it's leaking out the bottom.

Reply to
micky

Hi, Concur. How old is it?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I didn't think to ask - but the kitchen was remodeled in 2000 or 2001 or 2002 from what I remember (from the last time I worked on it).

So, I'd say 10 years.

BTW, I'm watching these "Girl with Wrench" plumbing videos:

They're kinda long (7 five-minute vids for a garbage disposal; but the videos have a couple added attractions to keep you interested).

Reply to
Danny D.

Time for a new one.

I got mine on line at

and saved a lot of money over local stores. Saved about $100 on my Kitchen Aid.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The current is Emerson, 1/2 HP. I would tend to get her a good brand and high horsepower? Would 3/4 HP be a good idea? And, is Kitchen Aid a good brand?

EDIT: Googling for the same questions, I found this:

Danny D.

Get under there with a flashlight and look?

Reply to
trader4

Wow. CR is getting worse and worse. It used to be great; but, that "buying guide" was nearly worthless.

Danny D.

I understand. She said it was leaking out the bottom, but, I'll bring a flashlight and look for myself.

I started listing what I'll need to bring ... Basic wrenches & pliers (large) allen wrenches Camera, flashlight Garbage disposal towels & gloves coat hanger & wire cutter wire nuts & romex connector & wire pliers screwdrivers & hose clamps plumbers putty for flange socket wrenches hacksaw & sandpaper and angle grinder channellocks & pipe wrench level voltmeter electrical tape stripper pipe dope knee pads long backed shirt pot and pans from garage & bbq hammer & prybar and straight rod (for pounding) strap wrench tape measure & marker electrical dialectric grease

Reply to
Danny D.

I was just asking proactively, before I got there, as I have never worked on a garbage disposal before.

If it's bad, I'm leaning toward adding horsepower, but I'd have to check for fit.

But, I do agree: The absolute most powerful diagnostic procedure is five minutes with a flashlight.

Reply to
Danny D.

At this point KitchenAid is only a name owned by Whirlpool...there is still a Hobart though (the original makers)!

Reply to
Bob_Villa

But, I do agree: The absolute most powerful diagnostic procedure is five minutes with a flashlight.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

As you can see, the job involves several trades.

I'll bring a flashlight and look for myself.

I started listing what I'll need to bring ... Basic wrenches & pliers (large) allen wrenches Camera, flashlight Garbage disposal towels & gloves coat hanger & wire cutter wire nuts & romex connector & wire pliers screwdrivers & hose clamps plumbers putty for flange socket wrenches hacksaw & sandpaper and angle grinder channellocks & pipe wrench level voltmeter electrical tape stripper pipe dope knee pads long backed shirt pot and pans from garage & bbq hammer & prybar and straight rod (for pounding) strap wrench tape measure & marker electrical dialectric grease

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Here's where you keep yours'

Bob_Villa

On a.h.r, once, long ago, someone posted a link to an airline report (FAA?) that concluded the absolute finest mechanical diagnostic procedures on airplanes was a long hard visual look.

So, I don't disagree. The most important tool in the toolbox is a good pair of reading glasses (these days) and a bright light!

My camera broke, so, I may only have fuzzy cellphone pictures when I get there.

Reply to
Danny D.

Don't get bothered if you don't need all these things. The disposal is likely made by In-Sink-Erator, since about 90% of disposals in Amerca are, under one name or another, Everything that follows applies only if it's made by insinkerator.

Removing and replacing it should only require a medium phillips, and something to separate the right angle drain pipe (that you'll unscrew from the disposal) from the rest of the drain.

After the wires and the drain are disconnected, a short counter-clockwise turn (from the pov of the floor) will release the disposal and let it fall down. If this is hard to do, you can put medium or large phillips screwdrivers in one or two of horizontal steel tubes at the top of the disposal, just below the sink. That will give you some leverage. I suppose if you use cheap screwdrivers they'll break. Or use that rod you said you would bring.

The ring on the sink can be used over and over again, even though each new disposal comes with another ring.

The older I get the harder up the new one and hold it in place while I turn it clockwise. That's become the hardest part. I actually use a small floor jack (the one that look a bit like an alligator, with a handle that sticks back, like a tail. ) to hold the disposal in place.

If there is enough room, (almost?) all models and all brand names of insinkerator will fit in the same sink bracket.

Reply to
micky

It's toast... I'm surprised it's still working. If it's leaking out the bottom (and not running down the side which is less important) then the seal at the bottom of the actual disposal area has failed and that water is flowing through the electric motor. Just replaced one a few weeks ago that had those exact symptoms...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

When my 20+ year-old disposal started leaking out of the bottom, it was due to a corrosion hole in the bottom of the case. Otherwise, it still was working perfectly. Got 3 more years of use from it by patching the hole with waterproof glue.

Reply to
Peter

Hi, Any how when ours was getting old(dull blades, getting noisier) I found a SS version direct replacement. Drop old one mount new one, done in less than 1 hour) ISE model. Upgraded from 1/2 to 3/4 Hp one.

Reply to
Tony Hwang