Kitchen Sink Garbage Disposal: Wrench Size To Turn Impeller ?

Hello,

With my back being what it is, I just can't very well crawl under my kitchen sink to see.

So, please, what is the likely wrench size to mesh with the female socket that is on the bottom of the (my) kitchen sink garbage disposal that is provided to turn the impeller when it gets stuck ?

My guess is that are all the same size, but perhaps not ? Have no idea what brand I have.

Also, is it a hex wrench that I need ? (or is it square ?)

Much thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

Try using a flashlight and mirror to get a look at the socket and brand label.

Reply to
Ray K

1/4" hex. Disposals come with wrench for this, but if you don't have one, a 1/4" allen wrench will be fine.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

Are you able to reach in through the top? If so, turn it with your hand. But, you know how people can be sometimes. If anyone's standing near the switch, ask them to leave the room. No...the house. Or go shopping.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

The Borg has a set of Allen head wrenches that fold up like a pocket knife. Treat yourself to a set of standard and metrics next birthday or Valentine's day. They have an ergonomically friendly soft plastic handle. Helpful for lots of things, and the hinge keeps them all together.

Husky, IIRC.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Would you have a small mirror you could put under disposal to see? I have an Insinkerator brand and it takes a hex wrench. Replacement wrenches can be found where disposals are sold.

Reply to
franz frippl