Garbage Disposal Drain Problem

I just finished remodeling my original 1970 kitchen. The last step was the new silestone counter tops and new sink. My General Contractor (GC) told me to pick out the new sink so I chose an undermount deep double sink. My GC's "plumber" tried to install my original Insinkerator garbage disposal and discovered that the height of the disposal drain outlet is lower than the drain line going through the wall.

Water will just not flow out of my house.

I had the plumber remove the garbage disposal and water drains, barely.

The previous sink was much shallower. And, I can't change the new sink and new countertops.

I haven't called my "real" plumber yet but the GC's plumber is telling me that someone will have to rip out the back of my cabinet, cut into the plaster and concrete block, just to lower the drain pipe.

Are there any garbage disposals out on the market that address this problem? I can't be the only one out there remodelling a kitchen facing this problem?

I really don't want to spend $500 to rip out my wall, lower the pipe, and repair the wall.

Oh, and I am trying to sell my house. The kitchen remodel was supposed to help with the sale, but now I am selling a house without a garbage disposal.

Help!!

Reply to
Deanna

Yes, I believe some of the less expensive units discharge higher up. It's been a while, so I'm not 100% sure. Go to HD or whatever and scope out the models available. Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

A garbage disposal is not going to affect the sale price of the house. You already have an outlet and switch for a disposal. The new owner will find one that fits or have the drain lowered.

Reply to
RayV

Deanna wrote: [snip]

[snip]

What is there to complain about? You have rid yourself of the cursed garbage disposal! Tell prospective buyers that the amount of money they will save in calling out the plumber for drain problems will more than offset the additional work they would have to do with food waste.

Seriously, my plumber ranted about our having a garbage disposal, what a problem they cause in the sewer pipes. Turns out he's right: most garbage disposals don't properly grind food products and so they sit in the low spots in sewer pipes (like the belly in my main drain 7 feet below the back yard) and eventually harden...especially egg shells. God did I ever hate egg shells.

We used to have the plumber auger the drain once a year to alleviate problems. Then we got a composter, stopped using the disposal, and not only have we not have to have the plumber clean our drain in two years, we now have rich compost for the garden and flower beds.

Reply to
Kyle

Fool.

Fool plumber.

Fools of a feather flock together.

Reply to
TheNIGHTCRAWLER

I've seen this before, it's a common problem in kitchen remodels, so much so that my local building department makes a point of mentioning it whenever a permit is pulled for any sort of kitchen remodeling work

- if the outlet from the disposer is more than an inch or two low he's probably correct, if it's less you may be able to find a disposer with a slightly higher outlet.

If you do decide to change the plumbing, make sure you end up with a seperate clean out accessable without removing the disposal.

Michael Thomas Paragon Home Inspection, LLC Chicago, IL mdtATparagoninspectsDOTcom eight47-475-5668

Reply to
MDT at Paragon Home Inspection

TheNIGHTCRAWLER wrote: [snip]

Seriously, would you go the frack away? I've checked your profile and all you contribute to this newsgroup (and the others in which you post) is insults. You contribute nothing, so what was the point of your joining this newsgroup? Not that I care, or want a reply, because I have now set a filter to block any of your posts; but I want to provoke some semblance of intelligent thought in your mind.

Good day to you, sir. I said GOOD DAY.

Reply to
Kyle

Seriously, you impotent little turd, do you have the stuff to make me?

You're a liar. I was the only one to give the straight scoop to the person inquiring about permits for replacing a switch and receptacle.

Again, if you missed it, fool: You don't need a stinking permit to replace a switch and receptacle

You testically challenged fools deserved to be ridiculed.

And your:

**What is there to complain about? You have rid yourself of the cursed garbage disposal! Tell prospective buyers that the amount of money they will save in calling out the plumber for drain problems will more than offset the additional work they would have to do with food waste.

Seriously, my plumber ranted about our having a garbage disposal,**

ranks as one of the most retarded replies on Usenet.

So, go pound sand, fool.

Reply to
TheNIGHTCRAWLER