Garbage Disposal Air Lock

I have something strange going on with my disposal. When I pour a bucket full of water or even when I'm simply trying to drain the sink, the drainage is very slow (without the garbage disposal running). If I stick a fork or something into the drain and hold back the flaps of the splash guard the is a big rush of bubbles. After 2 or 3 seconds of bubbles, they stop and the sink drains fine. Therefore, there is some sort of air lock happening.

If I turn on the gd before the water drains I get a huge splash of water out of my 2nd sink.

My setup is 2 sinks and I've connected the dishwasher to the port on the disposal. The disposal is a Kindred:

Any ideas?

Reply to
A. Blundon

Hi, How about checking the P trap first.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Just a guess. Have you looked in the dishwasher? I wonder where the water is going if it doesn't want to go down the drain. Not that i know why moving the flaps would make a difference.

Reply to
mm

Could be a venting problem.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

It almost seems to me like there is an air plug somehow created. I've checked the trap and it seems fine. In a normal sink configuration, what happens to the air that is caught between the sink full of water and the trap? Does it simply pushed through the system? I have my trap mounted fairly low (probably 12 or 14 inches below the drain on the garbage disposal). Maybe there is not enough pressure in the sink full of water to push the air through?

Reply to
A. Blundon

-snip-

Have you checked out the disposal itself with a flashlight & eyeballs? A sponge makes some really weird stuff happen as it spins around.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

flip the splash guard over. it may simply be installed upside down

Reply to
blitz