Garbage Disposal - food stays in sink after chopping

Our garbage disposal has developed a stinky problem. While it still does a good job of chopping the food, the food it does chop doesn't completely drain out of the sink. It leaves behind about two cups of food, which then stink to high heaven.

I've tried running the disposal longer, with lots and lots of water running through it. I've also tried running the disposal while (carefully) using the sink spray-hose to try to wash down the sides of the disposal while running. No joy.

Water seems to drain fine through the sink, but I can't figure out why the food won't clear.

Is this a problem with the disposal, or is there likely some other underlying cause (clogged pipes, etc) that could be causing this?

Thanks.

Reply to
JB

My guess is that you have clogged pipes. Water can seep through, but not small particles.

Reply to
Bob Richardson

Just went through this myself. My problem was the grinding plates were worn and I wound up replacing the unit. Others suggestions I got here were to check the drain for blockage and shopvac the grinding chamber. YMMV.

Marc

Reply to
MrAoD

Ours did that a few years back -- turned out the trap was filled with ground-up eggshells, water could flow through them freely but solids were stopped dead. Happened after my wife baked wedding and reception cakes and ground up several dozen eggshells in one run of the disposal. Just cleaned the trap and everything was fine.

Reply to
Joshua Putnam