Garbage Disposal Problem

Hello,

Have an in the sink garbage disposal.

Will not turn when power is applied, but does make a "buzzing noise", so the circuit breaker apparently is not the problem.

Also, the impeller turns easily and smoothly when turned by hand. Also, putting an Allen wrench in the bottom hole also turns very easily.

Usually, the impeller gets jammed, and won't turn until it's cleared. But that does not seem to be the case here.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

Hmmmmm....

That's all.

Hmmmmmmm.....

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

The starting switch (centrifugal) is not contacting for the start winding. Replacement parts *might* be available.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Try rapping the motor housing with a rubber hammer while it's buzzing. I've got an late 70's table saw that needs a rap every few months to keep it in line. I believe it has to do with the centrifugal switch being slightly out of adjustment. If that the case with your GD, I'd replace the whole unit.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Motor, or one of its components, is not working. If fairly new it may be worth fixing. if more than five years old, replace it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

with the low cost of disposers and easy replacement I would just replace it......

just did this for my dad over thanksgiving best 70 bucks spent in long time

Reply to
hallerb