Garbage disposal problem

Hello everyone, I have a garbage disposal that became stuck. I was able to break it free from the bottom using the supplied wrench but it doesn't turn as smoothly as it should. When I turn the disposal on it makes a lot of noise, runs for about 5 seconds and then the breaker trips. This garbage disposal is in my vacation home in the desert and does not get a lot of usage. Though not completely sure I believe the unit is about 5 years old. Any helpful advice/suggestions are appreciated. CP

Reply to
CP

"CP" wrote in news:hNqTj.160432$D snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Garbage disposals are cheap. Replace it. Unless you enjoy repairing stuff, you'll waste more time looking at it than it's worth.

For the best bang for the buck, replace it with a standard drain. Most people don't get much use from a disposal.

Reply to
Steve

On Sun 04 May 2008 06:54:02p, Steve told us...

If I could have one, I would get a huge amount of use from a disposal. We've had one in every other home we've owned except for this one, where we are on a septic system. It was recommended we not use one with septic. We've only lived here a year and a half, and I'm already sick of plate scrapings, peelings, and other food waste instead of a quick swish down the disposal.

I know that In-Sink-Erator makes a model specifically for use with septic systems that injects an enzyme solution each time the dispsal is used, but I'm still skeptical of its effectiveness.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Wayne Boatwright wrote in news:Xns9A94C74FD4FC4wayneboatwrightatari@69.28.173.184:

I had one for 14 yrs in a new home I had built. Never had a problem and had septic pumped like every 3-4 yrs. Never any issues with tank or lines. Inlets and outlets always normal.

The rules were always followed. All grease gets poured off into cans. No paint, chemicals and other crap down the drain. Liquid detergents only.

Reply to
Red Green

On Sun 04 May 2008 08:21:02p, Red Green told us...

Thanks, that's very helpful! I'm going to take a second look.

Can you give me an idea what the cost might be for having the tank pumped? We haven't been here long enough to do that. We have a 1000 gallon tank.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Wayne Boatwright wrote in news:Xns9A94D24559BD2wayneboatwrightatari@69.28.173.184:

It really depends on your area. The local "impact" fees can greatly affect costs. In one area I was in the cost doubled when they tightened some environmental things.

Just call a couple of places and ask how much to pump out a 1000 gal tank. 1000 gal tank is typical. Some things you might wanna ask.

Who digs up and pulls the cap?

If you have a really manicured lawn you may want to neatly cut the turf back yourself and put on the side along with the topsoil. Keep the turf wet. You don't want the undersoil end up right below the turf since it's lower quality. They shouldn't butcher it and should do what they can to preserve but you can't expect them to baby it. If you put it back, put the soil back in layers and pack in between. Water the layers so it packs more. This is to prevent mounding at the top.

The septic tank edge should be about 10ft out from the foundation where the pipe exits from the inside. That's not a guarantee. The tank could have been put elsewhere for some reason. Find the other edges. It's rectangular. The center is where the pumping cap is. The inspection caps are maybe a foot before and after the pumping cap. They find it by sticking a long metal rod in the soil looking for concrete. The ones I've seen are usually 12-24" down.

Do they pull the inlet and outlet covers to inspect? Do they pump out the VERY BOTTOM bottom of the tank?

How many people in the house (showers, laundry, etc) can affect how often you should have it done. Another factor is how many women are in the household. A lot more paper usage. The assessment at pumpings will give you a feel for it.

Reply to
Red Green

On Sun 04 May 2008 09:15:34p, Red Green told us...

Thanks for all the input, very helpful. Luckily, some of these things I already know. We were present at different times when the septic system was installed and know exactly where the tank is located. We are in Arizona and have desert landscaping...no grass. All pipes with caps were left exposed 3-4 inches above ground surface, and are covered by decorative rocks, so we know exactly where everything is. No digging in this case, I would assume, will not be necesary. The rest would be questions for the company who does the pumping.

Thanks, again...

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote

We barely use ours. Instead, we have those simple mesh pocket shaped items you put over the drain. They get dumped than put in the dishwasher (I have

4 of them so can rotate 2 out to dishwasher each time we do a load.

I have also a sink unit called Over-the-Sink Strainer Bought at jcpenny.com. As I think your address is not munged, I used their link to email the product description to you. It's very well made and no muss, no fuss. Just flip it over and use the sink sprayer to clean most stuff right out. Loads just fine in the top of the dishwasher. (use the top due to the rubber handles please). The picture will not tell you but the 'handles' extend quite a bit so you adjust it to the sink.

Reply to
cshenk

On Mon 05 May 2008 03:43:35a, cshenk told us...

Actually, I do have two of those (one for each side of the sink), and they are quite useful in catching all the small things that might otherwise go down the drain. An extra set would be handy. Just never thought of it.

Thanks... Now there's a good idea. Yes, I got the link and I think I'm going to order one. Very thoughtful of you!

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote

Hehehehe. Without meaning to bore anyone about my stay in Japan, fact is they do not have have electric disposals often. Instead, they have these metal grate things that fit down in the sink which are about (memory here) 4 inches across and about 6 deep. You just lift them out and dump in the trash, then put it back in. Really *nice* once you get used to them. There is nothing to break. They seldom lead to 'clogs' unless it's pouring oil (bacon fat etc) down the sink. Being used to this by the time we got here, we adapted to the sink strainer units you can get here.

Happy to help! I really *do* like this product.

I also happen to really like the FPO AP policies of JCpenny. Many 'say' they support the troops, but jcpenny is the only one who really does among the big web ordering sites. They do not charge more for an APO FP (or any APO type address) while so many do, and their speed of delivery can be as short as 2 days with no need to pay extra. In short, they make an actual

*effort*. Their web site accepts international phone numbers easily with an APO address and zip code. You don't know how bad Wal-mart really is until you try to order from an APO address... Funny thing is they used to be decent.

Shipping to an APO adress no matter where in the world, costs the same as a shipment to any CONUS lower 48 state address for the shipper but many try to charge us military international rates to make extra profit. jcpenny is honest and just say 'may take longer, special delivery faster services not available' (yet most often hit anything other than a ship at sea, in 2-5 days).

Reply to
cshenk

My understanding regarding the requirement for a garbage disposal what just that; to dispose of garbage. It was added to the building code in many municipalities to avoid garbage going into outdoor refuse. Mainly for improved sanitary conditions and to avoid attracting rodents and the inherent problems that involves.

Reply to
Art

"Art" wrote

Art, curious here but I'm not aware of anyplace where they are 'required'? They are optional as far as i know but a cheap addition so many places have them. Are they actually required where you are?

Reply to
cshenk