Garbage Disposal won't stop running

My Kitchaid in-sink Garbage Disposal unit won't stop running. It's the type that is normally activated by turning the stopper. When the stopper is removed, the unit stops running.

Now I can only shut it off (and turn it on) by the switch under the sink.

I have cleaned out the unit but it stil keeps running.

Any suggestions?

Ian

Reply to
Ian

You already know the switch is stuck in the on position. Did you try turning the stopper 90 degrees and trying again? The switch is not readily visible, but you may be able to find the lever that trips it. It may be worn or the stopper end is worn.

How old is the unit? Some have 5 year, others have 7 year warranties.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hi,

Model#? Approx age?

Some model# helps.

Have you checked yours warranty, some have extended warranty.

Very possible the switch that the sink plug actives is bad.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Had the same problem with my Insinkerator. Locate the switch (plunger) inside of the unit. You can spot the location by looking at the unit underneath the sink, by where the cover resistance increases and then inside by feeling around with your finger. I used a tooth brush soaked in various cleaning materials and brushed away at the plunger Kept pushing on it until it loosened up quite a bit. The alternative is to replace the switch/plunger assembly. MLD

Reply to
MLD