Garbage disposal switch advice

Installing under-sink garbage disposer in daughters old (1912) home. Runni ng a new 20 amp circuit from down below (basement)is no problem. Placing a switch is a problem. Her back splash is ceramic tile and I would hate to c ut into it. Also would be difficult to run a wire from under-sink to the b ack splash. Are there any remote/automated switch possibilities that are a pplicable to this situation?

Some of you must have faced this in the past. All comments greatly appreci ated.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

My parent's switch used to be in the cabinet below the sink. Open door, flip switch up, wait, flip switch down, close door.

When I installed a new GD for them, I moved the switch to the wall behind the sink because I could, but there wasn't anything really that bad about having it under the sink.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Good idea. If I'd ever put one in, I'd do the same. Nice thing is, no one would flip the wrong switch by mistake.

Reply to
philo

Same here. Our previous home, built 1924, had a GD. The switch was also in the cabinet below the sink. Right next to the GD.

I removed the GD and switch because the home was on septic tank and I didn't need all the vagative matter in the tank.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

Oh my, what a typo!

Reply to
philo

Yep, removing the gosh darn.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Switch knee high, into front of cabinet, in front of the sink? Any small kids who might play with the switch?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

ning a new 20 amp circuit from down below (basement)is no problem. Placing a switch is a problem. Her back splash is ceramic tile and I would hate to cut into it. Also would be difficult to run a wire from under-sink to the back splash. Are there any remote/automated switch possibilities that are applicable to this situation?

They have pushbutton switches that are made to mount in a hole in the sink, like where a spray hose, soap dispenser, etc would go. Not sure exactly how they work, but the electric switch part is separate, down below, and they use some pneumatic pressure or similar to work the switch, so there is no danger of shock.

There are also batch type, where the disposal only runs when you put the cover on it.

Reply to
trader4

If kids are an issue, a switch inside the sink base cabinet, along with the proper child-proof safeguards on the cabinet door should suffice. Obviously this makes the use of the switch a little more cumbersome, but after all, we must protect our children.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Follow code, and commn sense, as to the location of a switch that could after being turned on do a lot of damage!

Companies make an attractive, battery operated, operated 'stick on' wireless switch that matches most other switches in appearance.

Place all the wiring in a conveninet location, then stick the swtich more than arm's reach from the disposal's opening - done, all without damaging the stone work.

Reply to
RobertMacy

The push button switch might work but I've never understood the point of a batch feed GD. When I run my GD, it's not only for the debris that's already on the GD, but also for the debris that's in the sink and the dishpan.

I want an open drain to flush debris into while the GD is running. I don't want to rinse, cover, run GD, remove cover, etc. Too many steps for such a simple task as cleaning the sink.

Note: By "open drain" I don't mean wide open so that the wrong stuff can fall in. My InSinkErator has an excellent, removable baffle that not only prevents items like utensils from falling in but also is designed to reduce the noise from the GD.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Mount switch inside the cabinet, use a shallow utility box to minimize the amount it protrudes into the opening of the cabinet.

Reply to
Lab Lover

Air Switch

Meanie

Yes, think of the attorne^h^h^h^h^h children!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I certainly think parents should do what's reasonable to protect their kids. (I certainly had my little hand slapped if I reached for the stove.)

In this case, however, what DerbyDad03 questions is actually:

What if I'm rooting around in the garbage disposal for my wedding ring, and my kneebiter scoots in and turns on the disposal?

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

I was also raised in the days of hand slap and the occasional butt whack. I'm glad I did, I grew up to be a hard working conservative, not a whiney welfare liberal.

I can easily imagine toddlers finding the disposal switch, and enjoy the noise it makes. Also makes Mom scream from the other room.

If the knee biter turns on the disposal when you are reaching in, looking for your wedding ring: No longer need your ring? No finger on which to place?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

BenignBodger

This is why every homeowner should have a locking disconnect on their disposer circuit.

Reply to
Bubba

Installing under-sink garbage disposer in daughters old (1912) home. Running a new 20 amp circuit from down below (basement)is no problem. Placing a switch is a problem. Her back splash is ceramic tile and I would hate to cut into it. Also would be difficult to run a wire from under-sink to the back splash. Are there any remote/automated switch possibilities that are applicable to this situation?

Some of you must have faced this in the past. All comments greatly appreciated.

*I haven't seen these in a long time, but there used to be some garbage disposals that would activate via the sink stopper. You would just insert the sink stopper and rotate it and the disposal would come on. No wall switch needed.

As others have mentioned you could install a switch on the cabinet edge inside so that it is convenient when the bottom cabinet door is opened.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Unplug from receptacle and put one of these on it:

SteveF