How to troubleshoot what would make a garbage disposal leak out the bottom?

OK. Well, that might be the case, as if it's in the yard, it's buried.

I was hoping to get to the main sewer line, but, it hasn't backed up, so, whatever it was, may have been pushed forward by the snake.

Reply to
Danny D.

I have all that already (although I have to *find* the cutting attachment since it got separated from the snake itself at one point, because there are multiple attachments and only one stays with the snake.

Reply to
Danny D.

Thanks for taking the time to go thru all this, it may help folks like Leza who are just getting started in this whole home ownership/maintenance/repair stuff.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I thought people made their dumb mistakes on the third time they did something.

The first time they're very careful and think about everything.

The second time they remember the first time and coast by on what they learned then.

The third time they're so sure of themselves, they miss something. Right?

Reply to
micky

Never attempt to measure the ohms before you've measured the vottage between the same 2 point. It's easy to imagine there is no voltage when there's enough to burn out part of your ohmeter (usually a precision resistor).

Reply to
micky

All too true. But, I seem to make dumb mistakes on all three tries. :)

Reply to
Danny D.

It looks like a common radiator hose, hanging vertically from the upside-down Y coming out of the sink aerator, with one arm going to the dishwasher and the other arm going to this black hose.

There was a hose clamp on the top end of the black hose (onto one arm of the Y); and another hose clamp on the bottom end of the vertical black hose (onto the nipple of the disposal unit).

Both are only halfway on now. Yes, I "should" have replaced it.

Reply to
Danny D.

Actually, the snap ring is a 1/16" (or so) thick steel wire formed in a ring. There's almost no way to see or feel where the two ends meet.

Reply to
Danny D.

That hex-shaped tool was very useful for twisting the hole unit to lock it into place.

Are we talking about the same snap ring?

The snap ring had to be pried out with a thin 1/8" screwdriver, simply because it's like a "c" clip, only with it really being an "o" clip because there was no visible end where the two ends met.

Reply to
Danny D.

I had strapped it with a strip of tire tube around the garbage disposal unit.

Reply to
Danny D.

Wow. I never knew. Luckily I brought the DMM, but, this is nice to know!

Reply to
Danny D.

I only measured *after8 the wire was cut off the old garbage disposal unit, so, there was no electricity (other than the battery in the ohmmeter).

Reply to
Danny D.

I'm not sure who "Leza" is, but, I wish I had been able to snap pictures during the process. I guess I need a new camera.

Reply to
Danny D.

Google makes more money by having questions forwarded to this group from other "How-To" websites.

Reply to
Bob_Villa

Leza has a camera. Maybe you can borrow it.

Reply to
micky

Aha. I wondered what he was talking about.

I hadn't thought of that. I used phillips screwdrivers but your idea might be better.

Reply to
micky

I guess I missed all the jokes.

Reply to
Danny D.

The $200 3/4HP ACE 5000 that I bought says, on the box, that it has a "stainless steel grind system":

This writeup says it has stainless steel "elements":

What is a stainless steel "grind system" or "elements" anyway? Does it matter?

Reply to
Danny D.

You were right!

Apparently, it *was* only leaking from the side:

So, now I've inherited a working 1/2 horsepower motor (since I paid for the replacement, I kept the old parts).

I'm wondering if anyone has ever converted one of these to a bench grinder? Any suggestions for how to convert this motor into a bench grinder?

Reply to
Danny D.

This picture shows the problematic snap ring removed:

Only after I had destroyed the mount, did I realize this is how to properly remove that snap ring (which, you have to know about ahead of time!):

Even in perfect sunlight, you can barely tell where the end of the snapring lies (and certainly it's impossible to see while under the cabinet):

NOTE: I'm not sure *how* to quote Flickr pictures, as they seem to have multiple URLs, so let me know if these aren't the right ones to quote.

Reply to
Danny D.