Adhesive for ceramic floor tiles

I am about to retile the kitchen/utility floor with new ceramic tiles. The old ones have been removed and levelling compound applied. My question, is there any advantage in choosing between ready mixed adhesive or the mix it yourself type. I appreciate that the premixed will be more expensive I am more concerned about the quality of the adhesive.

Thanks

David - Milton Keynes

Reply to
David Klyne

I've had good results with both types. They have different properties, and work better in different situations.

If you're tiling onto a solid floor (as opposed to say floorboards), a cement based adhesive will work well. These tend to be the mix it yourself type. I've used BAL cement adhesive with good results.

Reply to
Grunff

Very much so. The setting rather than drying sort are FAR stronger. Do not use ready mixed for floors.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And what is best for ceramic tiling over boards? Our kitchen was done nicely with cement based adhesives and grout. After a couple of years most are loose as a result of both the flexing of the boards and the drying effect from ch pipes that run under the floor. The tiles are still in place, and it is not much of an inconvenience, but what should have been used by the contractor?

Cheers S

Reply to
Steve H

A thick bed of flexible cement, but you have to stabilise the surface first, which is why one always is recommended to screw waterproof ply over the lot before starting. And only a certain amount of flexure can be catered for anyway..sometimes you have to remove floor boards and stiffen up the joists first.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher