Is the transformer in a shaver socket always operating?

Good evening all.

I am tidying a spare bedroom and want to move a dual voltage shaver socket from one place to another. This is an MK gadget with separate 115/240V outlets. At present the unit is in a deep surface mounted pattress on a solid wall.

I will move it to a stud wall with t&g panelling and could quite easily do away with the deep pattress. There is plenty of room within to accept the transformer but I am a little worried about the heat output. Setting it into the t&g would be a doddle but am a bit worried about the heat ouput if the transformer is constant.

Is the transformer always on whilst it has power or does it only come live (make heat) when an appliance is attached ?

Many thanks,

Nick.

Reply to
Nick

I always thought these things only itwhen live when you plug something into it, with a switch oeprated by the plug going in.

In any case, surely the T+G will be happy with the small amout of heat it produces. I'd use a metal back box.

But I'm a complete amateur. I expect someone who really knows the answers will beb along shortly.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Mine has a switch. If you look at one you should be able to see the plunger - or if looking from the back you may see the switch. If in doubt check the data sheet.

Reply to
John

From TLC Web Site:

"Primary Switching"

Reply to
John

On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 19:40:24 -0000 someone who may be "Nick" wrote this:-

The transformer of every one I have encountered is switched, but I have not examined all of them. Even when energised the heat is not great.

However, to comply with the wiring regulations electrical equipment must be enclosed in a non-flamable box. Put one into the wall flush with the surface and flush mount the socket on that. If you use a metal one make a support out of wood to fasten it to. If you can find a plastic one for hollow walls which is deep enough you may want to use that instead.

Reply to
David Hansen

If you do not need the dual-voltage function and the socket is not in a bathroom then you could replace it with a non-transformer one (subject to circuit protection - they might be intended only for lighting circuits)

17th Ed Regs have new restrictions on cable routes/types if the circuit is not RCD protected - the shaver socket might be on a non-RCD lighting circuit.

Owain

Reply to
Owain