Shaver Socket in Bathroom

My plasterboard walls are not thick enought to take a deep enough box so a pattress is needed - however, it is a 1988 installation.

I need to move it to a new location on the wall and wonder if there are any alternatives to such deep and clunky shaver sockets.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Do you have access to somewhere for a separate transformer?

If so, a quick google brought up

and I am sure that there will be many others.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Cordless razor?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Dave Plowman (News)" snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

I need to charge it - and the toothbrushes!

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Steve Walker snipped-for-privacy@walker-family.me.uk> wrote in news:qdbbgu$nuk$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Interesting - I presume the transformer would need a switch - or does the flap operate a switch?

I took a look today - the wiring is not very convenient - 2 black and 2 reds are looped in and the drop is under the sloping hip of the roof. Was hoping to extract the cables and put them into a JB and then take a new feed to the Razor Point.

Next time in the loft I will see if I can intercept the 4 cables somewhere more workabls

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Can you use a combination of a shallower box and a surface extender?

There is also the MK K700RPWHI shaver socket, without transformer, if you can fit a socket outside the bathroom or a transformer remotely.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I do too - but charge them in the airing cupboard.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You could use a less deep 35mm box, but then augment it with a face plate spacer to give you some extra working depth (at the expense of another 10mm or so of front projection:

John Rumm

Paramount walls? ie egg box?

Reply to
ARW

I don't know. It could be that the trnasformer is simply continuously rated.

It's nver easy is it?

I've put a shaver socket in. A very easy job, as I could surface mount with a pattress box, beneath the bathroom cabinet, so its not very visible. The cable goes stright out of the back, through the wall of a built-in cupboard, up inside and through the suspended ceiling. There is even a small trapdoor there for me to stand in the cupboard with my head and hands through it and all the wiring for the lights and fan are there. The only problem is that I have to empty the cupboard and remove all the shelves one by one to get in and access the trapdoor - and as I have other things going on, I'm waiting for the urge to get it done to hit me!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote in news:48b612c0-ae54-45e8-b23d- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Sorry - Pattress was the wrong term - Surface Extender is what it has.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Steve Walker snipped-for-privacy@walker-family.me.uk> wrote in news:qdbpca$f2t$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Cupboard - now there is an idea - thanks

Reply to
DerbyBorn

ARW snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in news:2bdKE.2530305$ snipped-for-privacy@fx12.am:

No - a rather poor version - just plasterboard sandwich with scraps as the filler.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I have a brick version of that. My lounge socket disappeared into the kitchen.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

This house has paramount walls, I managed to install a Mira built-in shower valve (manual says 58mm depth) so a shaver socket shouldn't be a problem, what does it need, a 45mm backbox?

Reply to
Andy Burns

When I was mounting a tv bracket on an outside wall, the whole half brick I was drilling disappeared into the outside passageway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A great mnay years ago, by BiL was fitting a cooker unit in the party wall to next door. Suddenly the brick he was chiselling shot away and the neighbours looked through the hole and said "Will you take your brick out of our bath"

Reply to
charles

Andy Burns snipped-for-privacy@andyburns.uk wrote in news:glukabF1m5pU1 @mid.individual.net:

Alas my walls are not Paramount walls - they are thinner . Merely plasterboard eash face with a few scraps dibbed and dabbed in between. I watched them being built - A batten on the ceiling and floor - nail on a panel - slap on some scraps and do the same for the other side.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

When my next door neighbour (several versions removed) was having central heating fitted, the plumber knocked a hole through the party wall in the cellar. Presumably to allow long lengths of pipe to then be cut to size more easily. At that end of the cellar, you can only crawl, not stand. And they'd put the boiler in the ouside loo - after removing the pan and cistern.

And that's how I came to have a rat or two. And smells from the drains.

On finding the hole and bricking it up, I could see, through the wall, a couple of the new pipes leaking nicely. ;-)

They got another firm in to sort things out - including stopping vermin access to the cellars via their new patio doors.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Cutting into the brickwork to fit a socket in my kitchen pushed a brick through - and half-way out of the freshly decorated living-room wall.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker