Are shaver sockets still 'needed' in bathrooms these days?

Personally I almost always use a mains-powered electric shaver, but I get the distinct impression that like the bars of soap which have metamorphosed into little bottles of liquid soap over the past 10-20 years, mains shavers have pretty much gone out of fashion in favour of 7-blade disposable razors and toy rechargeable electric shavers.

Am I right? Is it worth still incorporating a shaverpoint of some description when rewiring bathrooms, as a matter of course, or am I just an anachronism?

David

Reply to
Lobster

out of fashion in favour of 7-blade disposable razors

What's a "toy rechargeable shaver" ? - I have used a real rechargeable one for some fifteen years, changing batteries a couple of times and find them excellent - recharge every week or so in the bedroom / car (if on holiday camping)

Nick

Reply to
nick smith

If you wish to charge your razor, toothbrush, hair trimmer, etc, etc in the bathroom, yes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I wet shave, so didn't think twice about removing the wall heater that had a shaver socket built in during the current bathroom rebuild, then wondered where I was going to plug in the rechargable toothbrush gizmo which was designed to be plugged into a shaver socket.

Still don't know. I'll probably end up with a mains adaptor and plug it into that outside the bathroom when I remember...

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

I use a wet razor - but the shaver point is used for charging my re-chargeable electric toothbrush"

Reply to
Set Square

When I asked this question a while back someone pointed out that toothbrushes need recharging these days, so yes shaver sockets are still needed though they don't need to be next to a mirror

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc |____|

01359 230642

Reply to
Anna Kettle

In article , nick smith writes

Nope, in fact I'm going to add one to cope not only with the shaver but the electric toothbrushes that the tribe are now using!.

Course the shaver light which you ought to have has this outlet in the end....

Reply to
tony sayer

metamorphosed

Yes - that's where I charge my shaver

Reply to
G&M

In message , Lobster writes

No, the shelves of shops still have lost of bars of soap for one.....

Even if it is rechargeable (I have a mains/ rechargeable one - there is nothing toy about it - it performs just as well on the mains or battery) there still needs to be a place to recharge it - most people would probably still keep the shaver in the bathroom - I certainly do. also we have electric toothbrushes that need recharging as well.

And what about guests?

Anyway,a bathroom tends to have along life before major works, so it's be a shame to leave one out just because you might not use one right now.

I don't really like the look of them though, so I hid mine inside a tall narrow corner cabinet I built above the handbasin

Reply to
chris French

I use mine fo charging the toothbrush...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

For that matter shavers need recharging too if they're battery ones.

Reply to
usenet

"The Natural Philosopher" wrote | I use mine fo charging the toothbrush...

Based on this unstatistically representative sample, perhaps the question asked should be: Are those tumbler-and-manual-toothbrush holders still needed in bathrooms these days?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Although the bathroom has traditionally been the place for wet shaving it puzzles me why so many people still feel the need to use a mains shaver there. I'd far rather sit down to shave in comfort in the bedroom than stand in the bathroom to shave, especially if it's in the morning rush when everyone wants the bathroom at the same time.

But, as others have pointed out, a bathroom socket is useful for charging electric toothbrushes. Does make the standard "Shavers only" label on the socket a bit inappropriate though.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Oh no you are missing the two people who use standard toothbrushes - the OP and me. Otherwise we wouldn't have needed to ask

Anna

Mind you, I put mine on the windowsill, not in a holder ~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc |____|

01359 230642

Reply to
Anna Kettle

Hi,

If replastering it's probably worth burying a wire in the plaster near the sink/mirror, then if it is needed it's just a matter of breaking the wire out.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Mike Clarke wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@milibyte.co.uk:

Me, too - ever since electrics arrived in the fifties I've never used a mirror for shaving.

Wouldn't do me much good anyhow; I don't reflect in them.

mike

Reply to
mike ring

Nah, the OP's toothbrush takes standard rechargeable AA's, which get removed and recharged downstairs...

(Also he uses a mains powered shaver himiself, at the shaver socket; he was just wondering whether he was the only person left who did so!)

So, just you, Anna...

David

Reply to
Lobster

Well all I can say is you are all a pretty lazy lot. Whats your right arm for?

No, don't answer that. I work on building sites you see ...

Anna ~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc |____|

01359 230642

Reply to
Anna Kettle

You need a bathroom mirror like one of mine - black tar under glass, no silver, so it works for vampires and goths. You can also play at John Dee (not Jack Dee) and try scrying with it.

I'm short-sighted and don't shower with my glasses on - so I've wet-shaved in Braille for years.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

"Anna Kettle" wrote | Well all I can say is you are all a pretty lazy lot. | Whats your right arm for? | No, don't answer that. I work on building sites you see ...

Don't you see lots of men holding their tea-mugs then Anna?

Owain

Reply to
Owain