13 amp sockets in bathrooms - houses and caravans

There is an awful lot of regulation about mains power in bathrooms (but not kitchens).
I was intrigued to note the 13 amp sockets in the bathroom of our new caravan.
Are there different regulations (the caravan is German manufactured to UK specification) or are caravanners intrinsically less valuable than home owners?
Cheers
Dave R

On Friday, 10 March 2017 12:27:28 UTC, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:

Caravans aren't covered by Building Regulations.
Owain

I'd also hope they'd have decent protection on the supply against electrocution.
--
*Haunted French pancakes give me the crepes.*

On 2017-03-10, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The caravan connections that I've seen (small sample, I admit!) have an RCD outside the caravan & upstream of the caravan's own CU. IIRC, it's a 30 mA RCD.
On Fri, 10 Mar 2017 21:42:19 +0000, Adam Funk wrote:

External box (blue 3 round pin connector) has a breaker.
Caravan or motor home normally has a fuse box and breakers inside (much like a normal house).
So two levels of protection with implied mutual distrust.
Can't be arsed to go outside tonight to check on rating of breakers in the van.
Cheers
Dave R

Adam Funk brought next idea :

Which are often rusted up. The DB inside the caravan is also fitted with an RCD.
On Sun, 12 Mar 2017 09:00:15 +0000, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Must remember to test the RCD when hooking up to a caravan site mains. Usually it is such a relief to find a blue plug that the lead just gets banged in then the kettle plugged in.
Cheers
Dave R

David explained :

I also do a rough polarity check, though I must admit I have never found one with an obvious wrong polarity. Make sure that if the EHU cable is on a reel, that it MUST be run completely off the reel to prevent it over heating.

Don't know if this was answered but this is from the caravan Club technical advice pages "The distribution and supply of electrical power in the UK, as well as wiring installations in buildings, caravan sites and caravans is governed by the British Standard BS7671, 2001" Maybe the regs been updated since then.
--
bert

The supply side at a caravan park is a TT supply and so has 30mA RCD protection.
--
Adam

On 10/03/2017 15:14, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

Are caravans internal electrics not required to follow BS7671 regs?
--
Adam

On Friday, 10 March 2017 19:42:48 UTC, ARW wrote:

They might be if it's a portable building to the relevant BS.
On the other hand if it's a vehicle then I don't think the Construction and Use Regulations require vehicle electrics to comply with BS7671.
Without Building Regs there's no Part P.
Owain
On 10/03/2017 20:08, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

I agree that Prat P does not apply.
However would it not be prudent to follow BS7671 when installing the 230V electrics in a caravan?
--
Adam

Besides, a dead caravanner is a good caravanner,
--
I don't have an attitude problem. If you have a problem with my
attitude, that's your problem.
On 11/03/17 14:07, Huge wrote:

Were you the one stuck behind me for 3 hours in 1985 as I towed a caravan with a Fiat 131 stuck in 3rd gear all the way to the Forest of Dean?

I consider it most unlikely.
--
I don't have an attitude problem. If you have a problem with my
attitude, that's your problem.

Americans have a two-word name for people who reside in caravans.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Jeremy Clarkson has a view.........