Beware Screwfix (16A nominal) pattress box timer 59925

Today I have had a ball of fun fitting one of these units. In the catalogue it looks perfect, but in reality, suffers from the following problems.

1) The unit is too large to fit into half of a dual( 2x1G) backbox, when the other half is occupied. The catalogue claims that it fits a 1G box! 2) The unit cannot accept 3x2.5mm wires into the flat plate terminals (2x max). This application was a timed spur on a ring main. 3) If one of the two wires in a terminal is solid and the other is a smaller gauge or flexible, the second can ALWAYS be pulled out of the terminal. 4) The clock feed is not permanently wired and the connection diagram supplies the live feed firstly to the clock terminals, then you are supposed to connect it to the switched feed terminal. 5) We wont talk about the earth terminal!

I ended up with a collection of crimped, terminated and insulated joints which would be totally unnecessary if the product met a decent specification. The problem solving/component finding took 5 hours! and it was of course in a really awkward to access location.

I would never buy this product again and seriously considered telling her that she would be without a washing machine for a week whilst I returned it and found a replacement. In the hands of many users, it is IMO a connection hazard waiting to develop. The previous fitted MK unit was larger, but connected satisfactorily and worked for 25 years until warning of impending failure by the increase in clock noise. I have grave doubts about this new product lasting for a similar period. If this is German/EU electrical standards, come back BSI, all is forgiven!

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol