Shaver Sockets

I'm currently converting my loft and was planning to put in a shaver socket to have a convenient place to recharge electric toothbrushes.

All of the shaver sockets in B&Q include the warning not for bathroom use etc.

Can shaver sockets be installed in a bathroom?

Help

David

Reply to
Shona Honeyman

Yes, but they must be the suitable-for-bathroom type with an isolating transformer. Usually need a very deep backing box.

Owain

Shona Honeyman laid this down on his screen :

Yes, if they are specifically designed for installation in a bathroom.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Bathrooms are the only places I've ever seen them, so you'd hope so :)

alex

Reply to
Alex

Yes, but as stated, they need to have an isolating transformer. These are usually the same type that support 115V as well as 230V.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

You can get non isolated types for use in, say, a bedroom.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So why are the sheds selling non bathroom ones? They are prominently displayed so presumably selling well.

Loads of accidents for the future and more stringent legislation?

Reply to
EricP

They'll be marked as 'not for use in bathrooms or washrooms' probably.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Because people install them not in bathrooms? They are very common in bedrooms. The non-bathroom versions are a fraction of the price and size, so you wouldn't want a bathroom one in a bedroom, really.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I got a bathroom one from B&Q earlier in the year, and didn't notice any non-bathroom ones.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

or you can use a light fitting with a razor socket such as:

fitted one of these inside the wall cupboard over the basin, so I can keep the toothbrush on charge inside the cupboard. It switches on when you open the cupboard door.

Reply to
Peter Taylor

suitable for bathroom use, ie transformer.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Actually, the socket outlet has to be limited to something like

25W (can't recall the exact figure) to prevent use of high power appliance. The standard isolating bathroom sockets are limited by the power which can be transferred through the transformer, combined with a self-restetting thermal fuse.

Needless to say, that doesn't conform unless limited to 25W load.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

;-). It was installed many years ago. And I'm pretty certain would be in a 'save' zone under present regs anyway. It's a large room.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)