Shaver point and illuminated mirror in bathroom

I need to move a shaver point from one wall to another and install an illuminated mirror above it in the bathroom. I assume Part P applies.
The present shaver point has a light built in and is wired straight off the lighting circuit. Would this be acceptable in the new location or should it be on a fused spur? If so, can the FCU be in the bathroom close up to the ceiling or must it be outside?
--
Frank
F wrote:

Yes - assuming you are in England or Wales and it's a domestic bathroom.

No FCU is required. Shaver supply units can be wired straight into a lighting circuit.
Make sure that the shaver point contains an isolating transformer as it is going into a bathroom.
John
--
John White,
Electrical Contractor
On 25/08/2006 10:30 John White wrote:

Good! I was going to wire it (have it wired!) from the switched side of the illuminated mirror so that it came on when the mirror light was on - I assume that if it's wired in directly to the lighting circuit it'll be drawing current all the time?

Screwfix 61532. No mention of an isolating transformer. I assumed (not always a good idea, I know) it would be ok as shaver sockets are fitted in bathrooms...
Thanks for the help.
--
Frank

It will, but the consumption is negligible - about the same as a doorbell transformer.
--
Frank Erskine

Nope. It will draw almost no current when not in use. No need to run it from a switched circuit.

It does have one. Clues that it has a transformer are that it has multi-voltage and is the size of a double socket (but much deeper). Non isolated ones are the size of a light switch and are 230V only.
Christian.
On 25/08/2006 12:02 Christian McArdle wrote:

Ah! I had seen the transformer but didn't know that it was an isolating transformer. You learn something new every day. Thanks.
--
Frank

into a

side of

on -

it'll be

as
(not
fitted
Some Shaver sockets are designed for use in dressing rooms etc. (or outside the UK), these units do not have the 1:1 transformer and no auto switching - both a UK requirement.

They can also be fitted in bedrooms where an isolating transformer isn't mandatory. I'd check if I were you. Cost is often a guide - isolated ones cost quite a bit more.
--
*Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental

Definitely. Consider using a small mirror heater pad as well. Great things and not that expensive. Switch it with the mirror light.
http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/shop/acatalog/FHS_Ltd_Mirror_Demisters.html

It is acceptable straight off the circuit.

You don't need one.
Christian.
On 25/08/2006 11:12 Christian McArdle wrote:

Neat and a good idea. The illuminated mirror is one from B&Q with two fluorescent lights built in behind the mirror. I'll investigate to see if I can get the heater pad in there.
Thanks for the help and suggestion.
--
Frank
F wrote:

To answer this specific point (even though in this case you don't need one), yes FCUs can be use in a bathroom in Zone 3 (or outside the zones if the room is that big).
--
Cheers,

John.